1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hair

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3372, Jan 5, 2012.

1. I tend to start this thread about once a year...
    so New Year seems appropriate.
    Soooooooooooooooo, who has changed their hairstyle yet again? I know I am not the only one [​IMG]
    I am now sporting a longish, feathered bob, very dark, much darker than I have been for years - and everyone reckons it has knocked a good 5 years off me. So that makes me...16.

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Hey CQ! Good to see you back!
    Stay around a little this time!
    I still have much the same style as I've had for the past fifty years (forgetting Mum's attempts to put my short hair in plaited bunches....and the 'experiment' with a perm.....)
    A short crop all round. No parting. Hair sticks up pretty much wherever it wants. (Nothing can control it - no hairspray, no gel....nothing works) Thinning and balding areas get worse each year. And just to add to the overall effect, I'm stressed at the moment so my scalp is itchy and flaky!

3. Do you wear it straight?
    I rarely change my hair style. I have the type of hair that either has to be quite short or quite long. It is neither curly nor straight, but has a mind of its own and is hard work to manage long, so I keep it quite straight.
    Without a colour in my hair, I would be entirely white, so the hairdresser doesn't like to stray too far away from the colour she knows works, as she is unsure how any other colour would work.
    I envy people who have hair they can experiment with.

4. Dark hair really catches the light and shines - much more so than blonde/faux-blonde. I'm not sure about a feathered bob, though - whatever that is.

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Same style but instead of just blonde with darker and lighter highlights, it's now blonde with purple, orange, red and pink streaks, looks amazing!

6. I prefer a proper bob - where the hair is straight and all one length.Oh and you must have a fringe to soften it.

7. Wow, Lapinrose, it sounds like a rainbow :)

8. I like mine in a shoulder length choppy bob, but I also enjoy being able to tie it back...so I have a routine of TRYING to grow it nice and long, getting fed up with it and getting it cut shorter, then I just repeat this process! I have my haircut very rarely as I find it is only done how I want it at the more expensive salons (I know, I know...) and I cant afford it very often. But im not really one of those people who cares about hair/clothes/make up.

9. mine changes with the wind ........

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Hairstyle will stay much the same as it's been for the past 10 years for me (very infrequent supply work doesn't allow for luxuries like hair cuts) and my husband has always loved my 'long hair' so having taken around 10 years to grow I'm in no hurry to have it all chopped again. Actually it's also amazingly versatile- so many different ways of wearing one's hair 'up' and I'm now adept at putting it up very quickly-never been interested in hairstyles which take ages to comb/coerce into place!
    Colour wise I'd love to return to blonde-one day!

11. Sometimes straight, sometimes curly, sometimes up, sometimes down [​IMG]

12. Hello new poster. You sound just like Rose [​IMG]

13. I saw the photo with purple - have you been at it again?

14. I tend to do that in the Summer.

15. Lara mfl 05

So do I naturally if I go out enough in the sun.

16. I go to the hairdresser every 4-6 weeks and have it done differently each time. I reckon if I'm paying so much for a haircut/colour, I want the world to notice the difference. plus, 6 weeks of the same hair cut and I am BORED of it, even though the natural wave means I can change the style, even during the life of the cut...

17. joli2

joli2 New commenter

I'd just got used to my hair going grey as it was always cut well and I thought it looked quite chic. However, since I lost it all and it grew back really curly, I've struggled with the image of grey and frizzy. Now it's dyed again and is currently a chestnut afro.
    However, it's still not a great look.

18. Lara, do you have a technical college nearby? The last time I had my hair cut I went there (on the recommendation of another skint friend) and a student (under almost constant supervision) restyled my hair beautifully - for £4! (Including wash and blow dry.)
    They are so glad of models but I think it costs £6 now for the same treatment. The cost of living, eh?
    I am going back when they return for the spring term..next week.
    At the moment my hair is short at the back...shaped into the neck, but long and floppy on top..with V-shaped sides. It needs trimming. It's also a darker shade of blonde. My natural light, silvery blonde has been toned down.

19. Lara mfl 05

Great idea Arched Eyebrow. Our local college has a superb hairdressing department- I know because we've done ' open days' with students there and that's definitely one of the better departments. Unfortunately it would cost me £6-£8 just to get to the college! My fault for living 'in the sticks'.

20. A student could come to you after that... to "practise"...