1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hair!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by snowcloud, Feb 18, 2011.

1. snowcloud

snowcloud New commenter

How is everyone's hair since having a baby? Mine seems to be leaving me rapidly which is very unsatisfactory and also revealing the odd white hair. Think I'm going to have to colour. Do I colour at home or at a salon? What to do? I've never realy coloured before and don't know how to do it. Is it easy and should I do semi permanent? Any advice?

2. snowcloud

snowcloud New commenter

How is everyone's hair since having a baby? Mine seems to be leaving me rapidly which is very unsatisfactory and also revealing the odd white hair. Think I'm going to have to colour. Do I colour at home or at a salon? What to do? I've never realy coloured before and don't know how to do it. Is it easy and should I do semi permanent? Any advice?

3. My LO is 6 months this week and my hair is still falling out in clumps. Luckilly I have lots of it!
    As a woman who has been going grey since the age of 14 I hope I can offer some advice on colouring. Having it done professionally is expensive! Lovely as a treat though and a good thing to ask for as a present from OH.
    I go for permanent dyes that have no ammonia. Although to be honest some of the semi permanent ones are just as good as dye fades anyway. My favourite is the casting creme gloss. Pick one the same shade or slightly darker than your natural colour. If you go for a lighter or red one you end up with a halo effect when it grows out, not good. Do a patch test first [tells you how in the instructions] just incase you are allergic.
    I start from the centre and work my way round my head, don't forget to do the back of your head as you can see these bits when your hair is up. Slap a load of vaseline round your hairline to stop dye sticking to your skin and use warm soapy water to wash any bits of stray dye off and always check your ears and arms! I always leave dye on a lot longer than it says to as mine are very stubborn, there is nothing worse than faffing around dyeing it and realising after that you can still see them. If you have a willing volunteer it is better to get someone to put the dye on for you as they can see all the bits you can't. Also, do it when the baby is in bed or out with someone as it's quite time consuming.
    HTH x

4. handrail

handrail New commenter

My little boy is 5 months old and I've noticed loads of my hair falling out - I'm finding it everywhere! I already had some greys before I was pregnant so I do dye my hair. I usually go to a salon and although it is expensive it's kind of a nice way to relax for a few hours while OH looks after the baby. I used to put a semi on when I was younger but my hair is long and it was a bit of a mess about! I get a permanent now and it normally needs re-doing every 6-8 weeks but I usually leave it longer until I am desperate :eek:) xx

5. When you are pregnant you don't shed any hair- or so I'm told. Obviously you usually lose hairs at a rate of about 100 a day so after you have had the baby you have a fair bit of dead hair to get rid of! It is depressing finding clumps in the shower plug and in your hairbrush though :-( I think dyes are safe to use- I usually do it myself to save money but it is a real faff. You definitely need your LO to be otherwise engaged as by the time you've put it on, waited 30 mins or longer, then rinsed it off, you've lost probably an hour or longer! it is worth it though as you feel so much better for it!

6. I could have started this thread! My greys are really obvious now and I have never coloured my hair. My hairdresser said a good way to start is to get some highlights, especially when you only have a few greys and they don't need to be done quite so often? I am saving next hair appointment for just before I go back to work and I may get some colour done then. Or maybe I'll go grey gracefully...

7. My hair starting coming out by the handful when LO was around 3 or 4 months old but I'm pleased to say it is now back to normal (LO is now 9 months) so there is light at the end of the tunnel ladies!!