1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hair today?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by snowcloud, Feb 18, 2011.

1. snowcloud

snowcloud New commenter

My hair is changing since having a baby. Mine seems to be leaving me rapidly which is very unsatisfactory and also revealing the odd white hair. Think I'm going to have to colour. Do I colour at home or at a salon? What to do? I've never realy coloured before and don't know how to do it. Is it easy and should I do semi permanent or permanent? Any advice?

2. snowcloud

snowcloud New commenter

My hair is changing since having a baby. Mine seems to be leaving me rapidly which is very unsatisfactory and also revealing the odd white hair. Think I'm going to have to colour. Do I colour at home or at a salon? What to do? I've never realy coloured before and don't know how to do it. Is it easy and should I do semi permanent or permanent? Any advice?

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

If your going darker home colours are great, lighter then go to salon. If it your first home dye experience go with semi perm, I like Movida but I think its been largely replaced with Herbashine. Its only cheap and if your not 100% happy you can then go to the hairdresser. They'll want to do an allergy test if you haven't had colour there before anyway xx

4. snowcloud

snowcloud New commenter

Thanks I think just to stay near to normal brown colour so dark. Yes I've never really done it before.

5. snowcloud

snowcloud New commenter

Thanks, I'm wanting to stay dark brown really and want to stay glossy so thought semi permanent to start with although I've never done it at home.

6. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I've been doing it at home for 15 years and the only problem I ever had was with bleach! [​IMG]

7. I tried to dye my hair at home. It was a disaster. I hated the colour it went, so tried to do it again. Made it worse so I, for some reason, decided to put a 3rd colour on top. The upshot of it was that I had to walk round looking like Tweety Pie for a few weeks. Go to the Salon lol.

8. If you have only the odd rogue grey and the rest of your hair is lovely, I dont know why you would risk the condition of the rest of it by smearing it with ammonia and peroxide at home.

9. The hair loss should right itself as your hormones settle down. i think that 6-7 months after a baby, the gradual loss that is suspended during pregnancy happens all at once and this can be disconcerting.
    A semi is fine for use at home - it washes out. I find that semis do not stick to my white hair, which needs a hefty dose of peroxide to get it firmly coloured. Most people will do fine with a semi. It WILL NOT lighten your hair, although it can darken it, so go a shade lighter.
    Maybe tell us what you are considering buying and we'll take a look for you.

10. I can no longer afford salon prices, so I colour my hair myself. I find modern products are fine. I am very fair anyway, so ashy blondes tend to look OK on me. (I have seen some pretty horrendous home-coloured blondes though....mostly on women without the skin tone to look good blonde. They tend to choose brassy yellow blondes, and end up with an orangey-yellow mat mess. - with no shine.Yuk. White or grey would be preferable.)
    I'd suggest you try a semi-permanent colour. They don't run or drip like they used to. If you are not happy with the result you won't have done any lasting damage AND you'll also have some idea of the brown shades that 'work' on you....(before you go to the hairdresser, if that's what you eventually do.)

11. Go to a salon and get a demi-permanent - this is different to 'semi' as my hairdresser explained. Basically it is a glossing for your hair which works with your own colour and covers grey. She said that a 'semi' just puts colour in and lasts a shorter time than a permanent. Semi and permanent are for those who need lots of coverage whereas 'demi' or glossing will just cover your grey (as long as you get a tinted one). Hope this helps! :)