1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hair dye question

Discussion in 'Personal' started by PlymouthMaid, Sep 14, 2012.

1. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

This is a bit random but I bet one of you will know the answer. I have a box of Garnier Nutrisse hair dye i was planning on using tomorrow. The snappy lid on the developer has broken off in the drawer (the white stuff not the coloured) and there has been a small leak. My question is - will the stuff still be all right to use as in effective and safe or will it have had some peculiar chemical reaction of which I am unaware? Not the end of the world if I have to chuck it as i have another but a waste of a fiver. Thanks for reading peeps.

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi
    I think the ratio to of the colour to the developer ( the white stuff) would be out since you are not using a full bottle of developer. However, saying that, you said only a small amount has leaked.
    I would not use it, since the ratios might be out, but I am not a hair dresser so I could be totally wrong. You could ring the helpline on the box if there is free phone number to ask.

3. Jo Shmo

Jo Shmo New commenter

I wouldn't use it, just to be on the safe side. Better to be out a fiver than the £however much it might cost to correct green hair or similar! Also, complain to the company or retailer. You may well be entitled to your money back.

4. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I'd blummin well use it!
    But then I am a thrill seeker.[​IMG]
    It's the element of surprise that makes you feel alive.
    Seriously - if just a bit has spilled I wouldn't worry.
    But you may feel differently.
    vannie - sh1t at advice.

5. PlymouthMaid

Ha ha thanks all. Good to get a balanced argument Vannie. I am not sure - on one hand i dont want my hair to go green and fall out, I also dont want to waste time if it may not work. On the 'be a little devil' side is the fact that i am a skinflint and dont want to waste it and the fact that that I always struggle to cover my hair well with one box of the stuff anyway so maybe having 1 and 7/8 of the mix may help. OOOh what to do - will report back when i bite the bullet, probably Sunday morning.

6. vannie

vannie Star commenter

To be honest love the boxed ones you buy in supermarkets aren't really that strong. I'd be the same as you and not want to waste any! If you wanted you could leave out a bit of the colourant to balance it out. Unless you're going for a radical change there are unlikely to be any consequences. Says she . . . writing anonymously.
    Good luck!

7. I fell into a faint when I read you were planning on dying your own hair...
    You are brave.
    I would never, ever dare.
    [​IMG]

8. PlymouthMaid

I used to Henna my hair from the age of 16 CQ and only started colouring it properly when the grey became a bit too much for the henna to cope with. I just cant afford salon prices now even though mine was cheap at £40 a pop. I can do my own for about £4 if I buy the boxes when on offer. I managed to get a box which was near on the same as the one from the salon (Vibrant red) and have been doing it for about 18 months now. Ironically I work for a training provider for apprentice hairdressers so, in theory, could have it coloured very cheaply by one of my learners, Trouble is it takes about 4 hours as they all have to be assessed whilst doing it and i also worry that since they hate having to do maths with me they may take it out on my hair (and I also know how bad they are at working out the ratio for colours). When I have it trimmed at my old salon they actually comment on how good the colour is!

9. One of my trainees colours her own hair and has done so for a few other colleagues. The results were good. I haven't dared yet, although she has offered.
    I am such a fuss pot with my hair.

10. I agree with vannie.
    The ratio of colourant to developer should be easy to work out from the quantities contained in each respective container, or even from reading the quantities/ratio from the 'strand test' instructions.
    I don't have much grey, but I sometimes pop a few streaks of a fairer blonde into the mix. I mix the quantities suggested for the strand test, and have sometimes used one pack of colourant for several 'treatments' over the course of a year.
    I have never had this paranoia about doing my own hair, but maybe it's because my mom was a hairdresser.

11. Unless a lot has spilled it won't make much difference - there is a degree of tolerance built in as you generally don't get all the colour stuff into the developer bottle anyway.
    Due to the design of the bottles there isn't likely to be much oxidisation of the developer so it is unlikely to be much of a problem. The most likely effect would be for it not to work, rather than for the colour to change or anything else.

12. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I used to be exactly the same CQ. My mum was a hair magician and either she would do it (including highlights) or it was a salon job. Luckily she decided to teach me to do it myself before she got really ill. If it's a simple full head cover up job it's relatively simple. Always go lighter than you think and you can't go wrong! I have salon colour when I'm feeling flush but honestly apart from the pampering I can't tell the difference. And they always compliment my colour. Go on! Surprise yourself!

13. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

I once mixed the colour with the conditioner by accident and only noticed when the first bit done smelled lovely. I chucked the developer in as well and it all turned out beautifully. I might be banned from doing it at home in the new bathroom. (finishing today, was allowed to use shower this morning for first time. Bliss.)

14. PlymouthMaid

Thanks all. I think I have decided to use it but also use the complete box so that i at least get decent coverage for a change. Hopefully all will be well.

15. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

Sorry to butt in on your thread ... but I read it with interest as I'm a bit new to colouring my hair and haven't yet felt brave enough to do it myself.
    Would anyone recommend a brand which works well for them? I feel completely bamboozled when looking at the shelves.
    Carrie

16. i always dye my own hair - i think it also depends on your hairstayle - i have curly hair in a shaggy, layered cut which covers a multitude of dying sins
    how much grey do you have? do you need a dye which covers lots of grey? then you probably need to take the plunge and go for a permanent. not so much and you can go for a semi-permanent or even wash-in wash-out
    what is your natural colour? unless you're blonde, ignore the colour on the front of the box, and check the colours on the side - brunettes come out with darker hair colour
    otherwise, as i like to dye my hair redder than natural, i have to take what's in stock, as smaller shops stock fewer red options - i have not found much difference between them, though personally, i find mousses, contrary to their claims, to be messier than conventional dyes
    oh - and wear an old dressing gown, or cut a hole in a bin bag and wear it like a hair dresser's cape. also (i think this is worst with reds) the colour can come out pretty fierce but should soften after a couple of shampoos

17. PlymouthMaid

Adding to Flora's great advice - I always out a dab of vasaline around my hairline and on my ears as i am a messy applier of dye. Keep an old spange or flannel handy for instant mopping of splashes on yourself or the surroundings. Other than that it is easy. I use Garnier Nutrisse as they have nice reds and it smells good and seems to make my hair very soft and shiny.

18. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

You make it all sound so easy! Might pluck up the courage to have a go myself ...
    I don't have much grey ... and have so far gone for shades close to my natural auburn/red.
    Thanks for the advice
    Carrie [​IMG]

19. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

perfect 10 is a good brand too. i use live, too.
    morrisons sell 'stain away' wipes that are very handy!

20. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

I've got some questions about hair dye, and you'll have to forgive me
    for them, what with me being an old-fashioned straight bloke.
    The
    thing is, when I get up in the morning and look in the mirror, it's a
    relief to find I look pretty much the same person I always have. What
    possible benefit would I gain from looking artificial?
    My
    sweetheart is forever colouring her hair. It costs me a fortune, not
    just in the hair dyes but in spillages on bathroom carpets and my shirts
    which she insists of wearing when she applies it. Is there a brand that
    includes an M&S coupon for replacement shirts?
    Do you go the whole hog if you change your hair colour, pubics and all? And if not, why?