1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hair colour... dyed red... is it ok?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Vanadesse, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

Of course hair dye can express your personality, much the same as the type of clothes that you choose to wear and other such choices. But I didn't post to get into an unnecessary debate about whether such things express personality or whether something that I've said has been perfectly grammatically correct, so I'd rather avoid it. Thank you to those that offered advice.

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

There's no need to toss that head of pretty red hair. Your question was a bit tactless, actually. There are several tessers whose hair is much more vividly red - and it doesn't come out of a bottle! What are they supposed to do? Dye it mousey?

3. I have currently just dyed my hair the same (well almost) colour. I have not had any problems but quite a few compliments which certainly made my day!!

4. If you look carefully you will see that h-b-f and I were discussing post #7, not yours.
    I actually think that the red hair in the picture you posted is a lovely colour and I can't see any reason at all why any school would take exception to it.

5. I have exactly the same colour hair. I was dark purple at my placement school (a church linked school!) and had no problem. Now my children find it like a game to see what colour I come in with (3 diff colours this term. I'm easily distracted). X

6. No wonder I never post on here. I post a reply to try and help someone, and get moaned at for not using correct grammar. Never mind that i'm rather ill atm and can barely get out of bed, proof reading my posts is not the first thing on my mind! Can't someone post on here and make a mistake without getting it pointed out?! I'm not going to explain why my hair colour reflects my personality, i'd probably just get a sarcastic comment back.

7. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I disagree actually, I think it's a fair question. A lot of secondary schools state that pupils' hair must be "of natural colour" or similar - ie it can be died but only a colour that occurs naturally. It wouldn't be crazy for them to expect the same of teachers. And the colour posted by the OP is not a natural colour, whereas bright orange-red as you describe is natural. I think some schools would take issue with pupils having hair that colour, and therefore perhaps teachers too. Some schools will say no issue, others may not like it.

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

Your grammar doesn't worry me. The OP's assumption that even relatively muted shades of red hair might be a problem in a school does worry me. Well, it worries me a bit [​IMG]. What chance does a teacher with a natural, beautiful and riotously red head of hair have in a school if people are scared of dyeing their heads a relatively muted version?

9. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

Apologies, my misunderstanding! I think I jumped on the defensive there slightly. I remembered thinking about something related to personality, which it seems I didn't actually say and so I assumed that I had said that! So again, my apologies.

10. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I'm sorry but how was my question even slightly tactless? Obviously no school would have a problem with naturally red hair however that colour is, quite obviously, not a natural colour. It is not a muted version of natural red, it's a completely different type of red that is not a natural colour and so therefore, something that a school should object to if they wished. When I was at secondary school and sixth form I would not have been allowed to have my hair this colour as it's not a natural colour whereas obviously those who were natural redheads had no problems as it was a natural colour.

11. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

I had my hair colour pretty much verging on post box red and never had any issues with it during my final 2 placements. Also, I secured my first post at the end of September and my hair was a slightly darker shade of red and then went to ultra violet and I still got the job. Personally, if a school is more concerned with controlling my appearance then it wouldn't really be the place for me.
    I have recently dyed my hair back brown for a winter change but I can see myself heading back to red next year!

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

But you're not a pupil anymore!

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

In answer to your

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

Tactless? I was joking on behalf of all those poor natural redheads who get 'ginger' abuse from people who should know better.
    Well, there's no more to be said. I wouldn't have been allowed to tint my hair at secondary school, so clearly I should let the grey shine forth now that I'm a teacher!

15. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Oh dear!

16. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

My apologies, I forgot to recharge my crystal ball. Hope you are better soon ...

17. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

No, I'm not a pupil anymore but that doesn't mean that some of those same rules don't apply to me. My school didn't let students have their hair dyed anything but 'natural colours' and that same rule would have applied to teachers as well, they can't exactly tell a student off, who is an adult as many of us were by year 13, who has died their hair pink when they themselves haven't got a natural hair colour either. I wouldn't have been allowed to have a visible tattoo when I was at school and even now as a teacher there are a number of schools and headteachers who would be very against me having a tattoo that was visible. Just because I'm now the teacher doesn't mean that there aren't any rules about how I look or dress. It may not be to the extent of having a uniform but there are still standards that I'm expected to meet in the name of professionalism and whether I agree with them or not, I have to adhere to them. Tattoos and hair colour are just two possible examples.

Right... that doesn't really make sense though as this thread wasn't anything to do with ginger people.

18. Raphella

Raphella New commenter

Go for it! I had my hair this colour and it was honestly fine. Most schools have a fairly relaxed dress code and its really common now to see this hair colour! (although I agree that bright pink is a no no!) [​IMG]