1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hailstorm!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bethannie, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

The weather has been awful today - we've had thunderstorms earlier. (I'm on the East COast)
    Just now we have started a hailstorm - huge great hailstones! Ginormous! And the nosie they're making is drowning out the TV! (Lucky I was only watching the repeat of Harry Hill - but it loses something without the sound!

2. You must be near ish me as we had gales, hail and thunder about an hour ago

3. We had a couple of hail storms earlier in the day (I do live in the Netherlands) it was great. I opened the curtains even more and sat and watched it. Sad I know but still amusing!

4. I remember a hailstorm 20 years in West Yorkshire in JUNE. And it was a very weird, localised one, which whited out our street, but not my mother's half a mile away

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

The front lawn is white with icy hail.
    I'm glad I am indoors!

6. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Sorry but the sun has been blazing here all day!!!!!

7. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

I hope it improves by next weekend... [​IMG]

8. Where are you dozy ..Jamaica?

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It's been almost nice here but still pretty cold even after the temperature crept into double figures this afternoon. At least the sun has shone today.
    We had hail earlier in the week and I watched as the couple across the road struggled to get their baby into their car...it was obvious that the chunks of ice battering down on them were causing them actual pain.

10. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

South Coast, Bauble but Jamaica sound good

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

A few summers ago we arrived in Interlaken in Switzerland just after a freak hailstorm. All the cars parked in the open had pitted roofs and bonnets, and a bloke at the campsite showed us a bruise the size of a tennis ball on his leg where a hailstone had struck him.

12. We had a hailstorm Christmas day last year. Our 2 cars were written off by the insurance company (every panel damaged), our verandah roof looked like swiss cheese and every single Christmas light (and we have the entire house covered) was smashed. Strings of lights were severed, every globe smashed from the roof. Huge ice piles up against the doors so it looked like snow. Keep in mind it's summer in Australia at Christmas and of course it never snows except in the mountains at winter. Definitely one to remember.