1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Haggling with service/utility providers - any tips?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by magic surf bus, Aug 26, 2011.

1. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I've been getting a bit fed up with constant phone calls from people with strong Indian accents claiming to be called Sean, Kevin, Angus etc wanting to discuss my TalkTalk phone/broadband package at odd hours of the day. I decided to look for alternatives to TalkTalk, and rang them to find when my contract ended. Inevitably I'm asked why I want to leave them, so I mentioned Sean, Kevin, Angus et al, and also told them I'd be shopping around on price when the contract expires. From out of the blue (and not mentioned anywhere on their website) I'm told that a 'loyalty discount' can be arranged for existing customers to keep them in the fold. Basically I reckon they'll offer to price match any competitor offering the same deal for less, so it would appear that haggling is permitted.

Likewise car insurance - around renewal time, try an online quote from your existing company and see if it's less than your existing renewal quote. If so, ring and ask them why? Admiral brought mine down to the lower figure not so long ago.

Have any of you had any similar successes in haggling down the cost of services and utilities? Please share them for the benefit of all..

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I've been getting a bit fed up with constant phone calls from people with strong Indian accents claiming to be called Sean, Kevin, Angus etc wanting to discuss my TalkTalk phone/broadband package at odd hours of the day. I decided to look for alternatives to TalkTalk, and rang them to find when my contract ended. Inevitably I'm asked why I want to leave them, so I mentioned Sean, Kevin, Angus et al, and also told them I'd be shopping around on price when the contract expires. From out of the blue (and not mentioned anywhere on their website) I'm told that a 'loyalty discount' can be arranged for existing customers to keep them in the fold. Basically I reckon they'll offer to price match any competitor offering the same deal for less, so it would appear that haggling is permitted.

Likewise car insurance - around renewal time, try an online quote from your existing company and see if it's less than your existing renewal quote. If so, ring and ask them why? Admiral brought mine down to the lower figure not so long ago.

Have any of you had any similar successes in haggling down the cost of services and utilities? Please share them for the benefit of all..

3. The late Mrs Dog had done VSO in India, so had some facility in Hindi, some of which she she passed onto me, since many students speak this language. If you reply in Hindi, this might confuse the caller.