1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Had my Biology interview at IoE yesterday...

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by e_witney, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Hey, I had my interview for Science (Biology) at IoE yesterday and thought I'd let people know what it involves in case it helps :) I thought it went well, so I'm waiting hopefully now!

It started with a short 15 minute talk on the course. Everybody was friendly and the whole atmosphere was very relaxed.

First was the group interview. We'd been emailed a list of questions to prepare--I've seen them floating around on this forum before and they were the same so I doubt they change. (Things like "Where do stars go in the day? Why don't eggs evaporate? etc) At the start we were allowed to talk in pairs and then talk to the group before just leaping straight in to questions. Make sure that when you prepare the answers, you prepare the answers to the questions that were actually asked! There were a couple of excruciating moments where people were totally off-tangent and they seemed quite happy to let people waffle their way into a hole D:

Next they handed out the written task--we'd been given the scenario before we came to prepare but the questions were unseen. Nothing difficult, just the expansion of a gas and particle theory. I think they're mostly looking for coherent thought, clear writing and good grammar/spelling/handwriting! There was no time limit-we all completed the task in bits and pieces as we were called out either for our presentation or for the one-to-one interview.

I had my presentation first--5 mins in a huge lab presenting just to the one tutor. Be aware that if you have a powerpoint presentation, you're glued to the side of the screen to move the slides on which wasn't ideal but, meh. I was asked a couple of questions after (including one I couldn't answer but was guided into answering correctly) and why I chose that presentation in response to the remit. There was plenty of waffling on my part about how xyz was important because it illustrated abc etc

Last was my one-to-one. It was very informal and friendly and seemed to mostly be a natter about my views on teaching. I'm not sure if that was how it was supposed to be or just how I tended to answer questions! There were two tutors doing these simultaneously. I was asked a few of the usual questions:

Why IoE? What would make you a good teacher? Why PGCE rather than another route? What are the challenges of teaching science? How will you cope with stress/how have you coped in the past? Have you seen a good lesson on your observations? etc I wasn't asked why I wanted to be a teacher, but that was in my statement so maybe she didn't feel the need to ask in person (btw, they have your statements and reference in front of them, so make sure to know what you've written!)

I was asked three subject knowledge questions--one biology, one chemistry and one physics, all pretty basic stuff: Explain chromosomes vs DNA, Are exhaust fumes heavier/lighter/the same after fuel runs out? Why? and a bit about gravity on Earth and the Moon. The other group had different questions and I doubt they're the same from interview to interview but it should give you an idea at least!

I talked a lot about things I'd term 'philosophical observations' eg the difficulty of relating the microscopic world to the macroscopic, why it's important to clear up common misconceptions about things like atoms being destructible etc and these seemed to be pretty well received. Lastly, I was asked if I had any questions and made sure to ask something that sounded vaguely intelligent. I was told I'd interviewed well at the end, which is always a hopeful sign! After that (and finishing the written task) we were free to go to the pub with the other candidates!

All in all, it was a very relaxed and friendly interview which gave me a good feel for how studying at the IoE would be. Playing the waiting game now--they say about two weeks. After having a look around and meeting people, I definitely want this place, so fingers crossed!

I hope this helps any people panicking about future interviews there!

2. Hey, I had my interview for Science (Biology) at IoE yesterday and thought I'd let people know what it involves in case it helps :) I thought it went well, so I'm waiting hopefully now!

It started with a short 15 minute talk on the course. Everybody was friendly and the whole atmosphere was very relaxed.

First was the group interview. We'd been emailed a list of questions to prepare--I've seen them floating around on this forum before and they were the same so I doubt they change. (Things like "Where do stars go in the day? Why don't eggs evaporate? etc) At the start we were allowed to talk in pairs and then talk to the group before just leaping straight in to questions. Make sure that when you prepare the answers, you prepare the answers to the questions that were actually asked! There were a couple of excruciating moments where people were totally off-tangent and they seemed quite happy to let people waffle their way into a hole D:

Next they handed out the written task--we'd been given the scenario before we came to prepare but the questions were unseen. Nothing difficult, just the expansion of a gas and particle theory. I think they're mostly looking for coherent thought, clear writing and good grammar/spelling/handwriting! There was no time limit-we all completed the task in bits and pieces as we were called out either for our presentation or for the one-to-one interview.

I had my presentation first--5 mins in a huge lab presenting just to the one tutor. Be aware that if you have a powerpoint presentation, you're glued to the side of the screen to move the slides on which wasn't ideal but, meh. I was asked a couple of questions after (including one I couldn't answer but was guided into answering correctly) and why I chose that presentation in response to the remit. There was plenty of waffling on my part about how xyz was important because it illustrated abc etc

Last was my one-to-one. It was very informal and friendly and seemed to mostly be a natter about my views on teaching. I'm not sure if that was how it was supposed to be or just how I tended to answer questions! There were two tutors doing these simultaneously. I was asked a few of the usual questions:

Why IoE? What would make you a good teacher? Why PGCE rather than another route? What are the challenges of teaching science? How will you cope with stress/how have you coped in the past? Have you seen a good lesson on your observations? etc I wasn't asked why I wanted to be a teacher, but that was in my statement so maybe she didn't feel the need to ask in person (btw, they have your statements and reference in front of them, so make sure to know what you've written!)

I was asked three subject knowledge questions--one biology, one chemistry and one physics, all pretty basic stuff: Explain chromosomes vs DNA, Are exhaust fumes heavier/lighter/the same after fuel runs out? Why? and a bit about gravity on Earth and the Moon. The other group had different questions and I doubt they're the same from interview to interview but it should give you an idea at least!

I talked a lot about things I'd term 'philosophical observations' eg the difficulty of relating the microscopic world to the macroscopic, why it's important to clear up common misconceptions about things like atoms being destructible etc and these seemed to be pretty well received. Lastly, I was asked if I had any questions and made sure to ask something that sounded vaguely intelligent. I was told I'd interviewed well at the end, which is always a hopeful sign! After that (and finishing the written task) we were free to go to the pub with the other candidates!

All in all, it was a very relaxed and friendly interview which gave me a good feel for how studying at the IoE would be. Playing the waiting game now--they say about two weeks. After having a look around and meeting people, I definitely want this place, so fingers crossed!

I hope this helps any people panicking about future interviews there!

3. Huh, I don't know why it posted as one huge chunk of text--there were paragraphs and everything. I promise! Sorry; I can't see how to fix it :(

4. Hi, did you get in?
    I have an interview in a few weeks so really looking forward to it.
    Thank you for your advice, it was really helpful.