1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

had a terrible day

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ellie22, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Feel like I can't teach anymore. Never used to have these problems [​IMG]
    Anyone else struggling at the moment? Or is it just me?

2. Feel like I can't teach anymore. Never used to have these problems [​IMG]
    Anyone else struggling at the moment? Or is it just me?

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I have days like that whenever I have more than an hour of Y8! Our Y8s are horrible this year, and one day I have 4 hours in a row of Y8 and i sometimes burst into tears after school! I work part time (i have a toddler) and I have been given all of the bottom sets, plus i don't have my own teaching room and therefore don't have the desks how i like them wherever i teach. I feel really useless sometimes with these classes and haven't felt like this since I was an NQT with a tough Y9 class!

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I had this feeling last term but seem to have managed to battle through it now.
    I eventually worked out that having a bad lesson last thing on a Friday left me feeling rubbish all weekend and I was struggling to shake that off.
    Is it one class or just generally?

5. Me, all my lessons are awful at the moment. I mean I imagine they are ok, but they feel like really hard work. I feel like I am treading water uphill in custard.

I try and pick out one good thing that happened, to help me not dwell on the bad.

6. I remember the good old days when year 8s were just like year 7s, but a bit taller. Now they are like mini year 9s.
    Ask for help to get the ringleaders removed for several lessons
    Spend some time doing a seating plan and get SMT, HOD in the first lesson to help you enforce it
    Do not attempt to "teach them" for several lessons after this - they need pinning down and getting into the habit of working quietly. I suggest lots of written work from easy comprehension style books, or worksheets.
    In these lessons it is time for you to build some bonds. praise, praise and then some - even if it's copyting and colouring a diagram. mark their books even more regularly so that they see a positive comment when they open up at thge start of the lesson. They always behave better and produce better work in the lesson after you've written something nice, so write big. While they are copying get in there and schmooze. Chat and their work. be friendly and smile, even though you are intimidated.
    maybe try some more strategies, like put them into completing teams, keep a box of sweets for when they come and use the whiteboard. get some mini whiteboards, send school postcards home. Think about the resources you are using - if you have bottom set, they may well be inacessible. Trawl the internet for other people's stuff. Think about am vs pm lessons - do the tricky stuff in the mornings - they behave better in the mornings and better before a break (as you can keep them in). Save tests and copying style easy work for pm. If they are a restless bottom set, they will not like thr thought that you are going to stand up and talk at them all lesson - tell them what's going to happen at the start - " we'll do this starter, then I'm going to explain the work for about 5 minutes, then you'll be doing an activity for 20 mins blah blah - they need to pace themselves.
    Yoiu have to somehow create the expectation that they will be good and that they ARE good. It will come, but you'll have to work at it.
    Whatever happens, don't get upset - you're tired with no classroom to call your own. If you have a free, get out and about and watch them with other teachers round the school - you can just stand outside the door. You'll either be reassured that they are equally bad for everyone, ot you will learn the secrets of success. If you do find a fab teacher who can handle them, ask them to come and see you, or help with a seating plan.
    IF your SMT are supportive, ask them to drop by your class when they are on duty and warn the pupils about behaviour expectations.

7. It is mainly one class... it is a class outside of my subject that I was given at the start of january. I have no subject knolwedge and their main class teacher is planning the lesson for me. Unfortunately she only gives me the lesson plan and resources on the morning of the lesson (So I have no time to plan it) and after speaking to other people in the department she is pitching the lessons 2 levels too high for this bottom set. I have talked to her about it and she is going to try and get it to me earlier next week and make sure it is slightly easier work. but you can see why it is a struggle!
    Then because I am tired my KS3 classes are just a bit of a struggle at the mo. I have been doing this for 7 years so i know what I need to do to turn it around... just got to find the energy to do it.
    I think it is made worse by the fact that I train PGCEs so I am feeling extra pressure as they are in all the time expecting (rightly) to see good practice and instead I feel like I am letting them down.
    I am being silly I guess, it's not like my classes are out of control or anything, it just doesn't feel as easy as it has in the past.... January blues? Probably!
    Sorry for moaning x

8. If it's any consolation, PGCE students seeing poorer lessons from time to time makes the notion of becoming a teacher more attainable-they also learn the skills of how to rescue the lesson from the jaws of failure-instead of feeling pressured into the idea that they have to <u>always</u> deliver 'perfectly planned lessons in a totally focussed sparkly manner'-everyone gets sick from time to time or has an off day; so it's a valuable lesson to learn about how to deal with it and that you're not a failure if you have a bad lesson or an off day.
    I remember my last teaching practice in a Y1 class-when I went to observe in the term before I started in the class I thought that the teacher was just so brilliant that 'I couldn't possibly hope to emulate this'. Then on one of my observation days 'my' teacher was out of the class and I watched a supply teacher in action (in the days when supplies brought all their own activites and ideas). Lesson was pitched too high for the level of skills (intricate scissor work at one point) and she struggled to keep order because she didn't know any names-so I had to step in and help rather than just observe.
    After that I realised, hey I think I can do this after all-it was such a boost to my confidence that I stopped comparing myself to the amazing class teacher-got on with my 9 week teaching practice and got a distinction!