1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Had a kindle for Christmas

Discussion in 'Book club' started by Phoenixchild, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

I don't know how to use it and would rather just read a book. Tell me I'm not alone please.xx
    [​IMG]

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Sorry! I had a Kindle too...I got mine early so that I could get used to ot......and I absolutely love it!
    It will never replace books - I love the feel and smell of proper books - but it has already earned a special place in my heart!
    Maybe if you give more details about what you need to know then somone will be able to explain how to use it?!.....Give it a chance - Kindles are fantastic!

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I am SOOOOO jealous - my boyfriend ordered me one weeks ago, and it's still lost in the snow :-(

4. Phoenixchild

To be perfectly honest I'm just not that interested, I got my mom the latest Jodi Picoult for Christmas, looked it up on Kindle and it's £5.99, in my shock I stated "I can buy the book for that!".
    See what I mean? I want to read an actual book, not learn how to use a gadget that will let me read words on a screen. I know I sound really ungrateful and I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually but right now I don't want to get used to it, I want a book I can hold and own and pass on or keep once read.xx
    [​IMG]

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Phoenix - I'm sorry that you're disappointed by your gift. Give it a week - you could get into it!
    Try this site http://manybooks.net/help/devices/kindle.php. You can get kindle books for free here, to give it a chance to show you how good it can be.
    If you are still determined not to like it, send me a PM with a suggested price and if I like your offer, I'll buy it from you. I'm sure I can find a friend to give it to for a birthday!
    (I'm assuming that by sending the Kindle to me at TES you can trust me to pay you - not quite like selling to a complete stranger).

I shall be contributing to the Seminars on Saturday 8th January. TheoGriff Job Seminar
    Look forward to seeing you!

6. Phoenixchild

Thank you Theo, I know you and many others are big fans but it really has NEVER appealed to me.
    That said, I have found a few free books and started re-reading little women this afternoon, so yes I see some advantages already *I rather begrudgingly state!*
    I will have a look at the site you posted, thank you for that, and also for your offer, yes I would trust you, but I'm also a bit of a mug and tend to trust total strangers too, I hope you know I'm not getting at you saying that, just laughing at myself really.
    It's early days, I've spent the day really trying to like my gift, (again with the ungratefulness, sorry) I think I may get to see it has a purpose but have told my hub that I think I will have to buy the book I want first, read it, keep or get rid of it and then have it as an e-book later. I really don't think I could ever read a "new" book on a screen, I want the whole "book" experience. I realise I must sound a dinosaur, at 37, but books are precious to me and even the thought of not reading an actual book makes me want to cry.
    Anyway, it's a small step forward from this morning when I think my husband realised I was very underwhelmed, though I tried to hide it. We'll see how it goes, and thank you again for the offer Theo.xxxxxx

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I really think that you'll get into it once you start reading something that you enjoy! i too thought that I wouldn't go for an e-reader, and then my daughter-in-law loaned me hers, and then it just took off.
    Bet you keep it in the end!
    <table cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0"><tr><td align="center">Greek name of letter</td><td align="center">Symbol</td><td align="center">English equivalent</td><td align="center">Pronounciation</td></tr><tr><td>alpha</td><td align="center"><font color="#ff0000">a</font></td><td align="center">a</td><td>a as in smart</td></tr><tr><td>beta</td><td align="center"><font color="#ff0000">b</font></td><td align="center">b</td><td>v as in very</td></tr><tr><td>gamma</td><td align="center"><font color="#ff0000">g</font></td><td align="center">g</td><td>between y as in yes and g as in go, but with no hard 'g' sound - more of a soft 'h' followed by the 'y' sound in yes</td></tr><tr><td>delta</td><td align="center"><font color="#ff0000">d</font></td><td align="center">d</td><td>th as in the </td></tr><tr><td>epsilon</td><td align="center"><font color="#ff0000">e</font></td><td align="center">e</td><td>e as in very</td></tr><tr><td>zeta</td><td align="center"><font color="#ff0000">z</font></td><td align="center">z</td><td>z as in zoo</td></tr><tr><td>eta</td><td align="center"><font color="#ff0000">h</font></td><td align="center">e</td><td>ee as in bee</td></tr><tr><td>theta</td><td align="center"><font color="#ff0000">q</font></td><td align="center">th</td><td>th as in think</td></tr><tr><td>iota</td><td align="center"><font color="#ff0000">i</font></td><td align="center">i</td><td>ee as in bee or i as in bitter or sit</td></tr><tr><td>kappa</td><td align="center"><font color="#ff0000">k</font></td><td align="center">k</td><td>k as in look</td></tr><tr><td>lamda</td><td align="center"><font color="#ff0000">l</font></td><td align="center">l</td><td>l as in log</td></tr><tr><td>mu</td><td align="center"><font color="#ff0000">m</font></td><td align="center">m</td><td>m as in man</td></tr><tr><td>nu</td><td align="center"><font color="#ff0000">n</font></td><td align="center">n</td><td>n as in not</td></tr><tr><td>xi</td><td align="center"><font color="#ff0000">x</font></td><td align="center">x</td><td>x as in box</td></tr><tr><td>omicron</td><td align="center"><font color="#ff0000">o</font></td><td align="center">o</td><td>o as in box</td></tr><tr><td>pi</td><td align="center"><font color="#ff0000">p</font></td><td align="center">p</td><td>p as in top, but softer and close to 'b'</td></tr><tr><td>rho</td><td align="center"><font color="#ff0000">r</font></td><td align="center">r, rh</td><td>a rolled r</td></tr><tr><td>sigma</td><td align="center"><font color="#ff0000">s</font></td><td align="center">s</td><td>s as in sap with a hint of sh as in sugar</td></tr><tr><td>tau</td><td align="center"><font color="#ff0000">t</font></td><td align="center">t</td><td>t as in lot, but softer and close to 'd'</td></tr><tr><td>upsilon</td><td align="center"><font color="#ff0000">u</font></td><td align="center">u</td><td>same as eta - ee as in bee</td></tr><tr><td>phi</td><td align="center"><font color="#ff0000">j</font></td><td align="center">ph</td><td>ph as in photo</td></tr><tr><td>chi</td><td align="center"><font color="#ff0000">c</font></td><td align="center">kh</td><td>ch as in the scottish 'loch' but softer - not a hard sound</td></tr><tr><td>psi</td><td align="center"><font color="#ff0000">y</font></td><td align="center">ps</td><td>ps as in upside</td></tr><tr><td>omega</td><td align="center"><font color="#ff0000">w</font></td><td align="center">M </td><td>like omicron - o as in box - or longer 'o' sound like the vowel sound in oar</td></tr></table>

I shall be contributing to the Seminars on Saturday 8th January. TheoGriff Job Seminar

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good gracious! Where on earth did that come from!

9. I got a Kindle too and I'm bloodywell DELIGHTED with it! (And a red case to put it in....) Love it! I will still read traditional books but I'm thrilled to have a Kindle.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Just remembered - the Amazon Returns Policy is 30 days.
    So depending on when OH bought it, you could get ALL your money back.
    Or all his.

11. I got one as well. I'm a bit of a ludite really, but I knew my husband wouldn't be able to resist. I'm quite impressed so far. I love the fact that you can buy a book and it arrives instantlyI'm also quite keen on the download a chapter for free feature.

12. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

My Kindle is not a substitute for books (well, not completely!)
    For Christmas I got a 'proper' book. It's a title that isn't available for the Kindle, and I have a collection that looks good on my bookshelf. And I love the smell and feel of old books. I'm not ready to give up books just yet!
    On the other hand, I have a few new titles for the Kindle....two are out of print, so the Kindle is the only way I'd get to read the titles....and two titles are German titles that I would have to order and would take time to arrive - with the Kindle I had them in under 5 minutes.....Also, the Kindle makes packing easier/lighter. (No more packing 6 or more books into my suitcase!)
    I've just this morning downloaded free samples for 6 more books - ready to decide how to spend some Christmas money.
    I was very hesitant when I was offered a Kindle as a present....and it took me just a few days to fall in love with it>

13. By way of a miracle, my husband actually took the hint and got me a Kindle for Christmas. I love it. No, it's not a replacement for books but it is a good complimentary device.
    I am trawling the Public Domain books on Amazon's Kindle store and getting the free ones I fancy reading but I have spent a few pennies on books (not more than 79p each mind!) too.
    I'm impressed so far but might treat myself to a lighted cover later. I've got an ordinary cover but like to read in bed.

14. So, PC, you are going on holiday and can't cram half a dozen books into your case? One Kindle and all books on it. Can't decide which of the books to read? You've got a choice. I have an iPad and use the Kindle App for that and the iBooks app. Actually, I've started reading novels again. I'd given it up. Couldn't be bothered with carting a book around that I then decided I didn't want to read because something else appealed that day. Now I can carry just about anything I might want to read with me where ever I go. Of course, it doesn't replace real books. There are still some books I need to buy as they aren't available in any electronic format and there are things like poetry and art books that must grace my bookselves but for the easy reading, novels etc that I don't care much for after reading them, they don't take up room on my shelves anymore. On a flippant note, staff meetings aren't boring anymore cos I don't pay any attention to them. I read a book instead and it kind of looks like I'm paying attention!

15. Phoenixchild

I also have a raft of proper books to get through so the gadget will still get neglected, I have continued reading on it today because I don't want to seem ungrateful. As I said I'm sure I'll get used to it but at the moment it seems I will use it as a re-reading tool. And to add insult to injury I got no books for Christmas, lol.
    I hope everyone else is continuing to enjoy their kindle and enjoys the rest of their holidays too.xx

16. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Hi nixxy, I hope you had a lovely Xmas despite the kindle :)
    I was wondering if you liked reading newspapers and amgazines? If so, you can download calibre and get them for free on your kindle.
    Marshy xx

17. Phoenixchild

I did thanks Marshy, hope you and yours did too?
    I don't read newspapers but do read the odd abandoned magazine in the staffroom. Thanks for the thought though, my husband reads newspapers so maybe he can make use of it?xx

18. I thought about getting a kindle for going on holiday as I usually can get through about six books, a lot of space in my luggage. But the thought of relying on an electronic device for my holiday reading material was disturbing. I don't have great luck with electronic gadgets they tend to malfunction on me quite a lot.

19. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I will take my kindle and guide books. There will be so much to do that it is unlikely that I will have time to read a book, except the guide books of course.

20. Phoenixchild

Mine malfunctioned last night! Don't ask me how or why because I don't know! But the screen went pure grey with the heading little women at the top (which I had started reading) and nothing else on the page whatsoever. I called up the menu or whatever and tried to open a different "book" still a grey, blank screen with the title "little women" at the top. I tried to turn it off, still the same blank, grey screen........
    Somehow this morning it was back to what I assume is "normal"? Not a great recommendation to taking that and not real books on holiday to my mind though!xx