1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Had a bad day? Made a few mistakes? Bet you didn't mess up like THIS though!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, Jan 21, 2019.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Whoops!

Ancient' Scottish stone circle was built in 1990s

Archaeologists were studying site until former farm owner came forward

[​IMG]

A stone circle thought to be thousands of years old has turned out to be a lot more modern after a former farm owner admitted building it in the 1990s.

The “recumbent stone circle” in the parish of Leochel-Cushnie, Aberdeenshire, was reported by the site’s current farm and was considered unusual for its small diameter and relatively small stones.

Historic Environment Scotland and Aberdeenshire council’s archaeology service celebrated it as an authentic discovery and continued their research until being contacted by the former owner who said they had built it as a replica in the mid-1990s.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jan/21/ancient-scottish-stone-circle-was-built-in-1990s

Jamvic, ATfan, becky70 and 8 others like this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Made me laugh. Ah poor sods.

ATfan and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Only 4,000 years out.

Yeah. Archaeologists.

ATfan and lanokia like this.
  4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Mid 90s isn't that long ago. Surely locals will remember it not being there.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh ah we were on a bender that weekend... aaaarrrh all a bit of blur... Bernard said something about stones... All so hazy arrrrrr....

[yes I know it's in Aberdeenshire but I think pirates are funnier - unless they are Somali]

ATfan and les25paul like this.
  6. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Made me laugh too. Why did they build it though? As a hoax? Garden ornament? Folly?

ATfan likes this.
  7. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Come on be honest. ;)

If you were a local would you tell the Archaeologists and spoil a good story?

ATfan, lanokia, FrankWolley and 2 others like this.
  8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Not quite as good as Nessie.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Great practical joke - well done

nomad likes this.
  10. 10000YearsBC

10000YearsBC Occasional commenter

Nice one. To quote the late Windsor Davies, Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

In Burgundy there's a cave system which has unusual acoustic qualities in its main chamber, so it was used by local villagers for celebrations over a number of centuries. The candles they burned covered the cave walls in soot, and it was decided during the 1970s and 80s to systematically clean off the soot with pressurised hoses and a weak solution of acid. They were most successful in stripping the cave walls back to the natural rock surface below. Unfortunately, in doing so, they also removed the original prehistoric cave paintings made by early humans, and possibly even Neanderthals anything up to 200,000 years ago. All that is left in these cleaned up places are enigmatic faint red smudges on raised lumps of cave wall. Fortunately some fine examples of the art survive in other parts of the cave system.

ATfan likes this.
  11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I used to do an assembly on how to cope with having a bad day. Very visual. Some of my favourites included
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were many more.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If I could go back in time and attend one event I would choose to go to the planning meeting for Stonehenge.

Would have been hilarious.

nomad likes this.
  13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter