1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Habitat lesson ideas-INTERVIEW

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by charlielou3, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Hi. I have an interview on Monday and have to teach a mixed year 3/4 class on something based on habitats. Does anyone have some really good creative ideas? This will be for my first teaching post and I really want to get this job.

I have one idea, I would show the children different habitats and then get them to choose one and design an animal/plant that is perfectly suited to living in that habitat. I would get them to draw the animal/plant and annotate it.

Do you think that it would work?

Any advice and feedback would be very appreciated.

Thanks

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I see you haven't even considered your learning objective, which should come first before any thought of your activity. Nor have you indicated how much time you have - is it a full hour - or 15/20/30 mins, as is common for interview lessons?
    My personal view is that it's too vague - 'showing' them habitats and expecting them to identify features common to a specific animal (even a made-up one) isn't likely to elicit understanding of what kinds of creatures might live there unless you direct very heavily.
    As I said, begin with a LO - what. exactly, would you like them to learn/understand by the end of your session? What will you teach them and how? What kind of activity is likely to lead to achievement of your LO?