1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Haber Process

Discussion in 'Science' started by Rebeccalm, Jun 25, 2011.

1. I need to teach a 30 min lesson on the Haber Process to an A level class - any ideas on what I need to cover/how to teach it? (im not a chemist :S)

2. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Is it for an interview? Surely the school know that you're not a Chemistry teacher?

3. missmunchie

missmunchie Occasional commenter

4. bogstandardcomp

bogstandardcomp New commenter

and this
    http://www.freezeray.com/flashFiles/theHaberProcess.htm

5. yeah it is for an interview. you would think so!!

6. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Do you know which A-level exam board it is? I only have experience of one and I'd hate to give you the wrong information.

7. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Well, after looking at the AQA specification:
    http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2420-W-SP.PDF
    It only mentions the Haber <u>Process</u> in relation to catalysts (hence my 2nd post as I was sure I'd never done much with the Haber Process at A-level). Are you sure it is Haber Process and not Born-Haber cycle (which is completely different)?

Anyway I'm off to check Edexcel and OCR...

8. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Right Edexcel syllabus is here:
    http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/UA024832%20GCE%20in%20Chemistry%20Issue%204%20250510.pdf
    It does have something about Haber process:
    <font size="3" face="Verdana" color="#00005a">use information on enthalpy change and entropy to justify the
    </font><font size="3" face="Verdana" color="#00005a">conditions used to obtain economic yields in industrial processes,
    </font><font size="3" face="Verdana" color="#00005a">and understand that in reality industrial processes cannot be
    </font><font size="3" face="Verdana" color="#00005a">in equilibrium since the products are removed, eg in the Haber
    </font><font size="3" face="Verdana" color="#00005a">process temperature affects the equilibrium yield and rate
    whereas pressure affects only the equilibrium yield (knowledge
    </font><font size="3" face="Verdana" color="#00005a">of industrial conditions are not required).

OCR is here:
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/kd/ocr_9910_kd_gce_spec.pdf
    This doesn't mention the Haber process at all, just Born-Haber cycles.

</font>

9. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I would imagine that all specifications have bits about discussing the effect of pressure and temperature on equilibria - which is how I would approach it.
    P

10. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I have to admit not searching for pressure/ temperature on equilibria and I've done enough searching on random specifications...

11. This is a rubbish interview topic as it really can't be done properly in thirty minutes. You need to know what they know about equilibrium before getting into the topic - if they know nothing you will be in real trouble.
    But for the sake of argument you are going to have to look at the effect of temperature and pressure on the position of equilibrium. The temperature argument is usually OK but the pressure one they often struggle with as they often have difficulty with the idea of molar gas volumes. You are probably best off tackling just one of these (the effect of temperature) and work in a demo at the beginning of the properties of ammonia - turns red litmus blue, forms white smoke with cHCl which you can do with just a gas jar.

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Surely you could, in 30 minutes, relate the haber process equation to Le Chatelier's principal?

13. At this stage of the year, if it is from the equilibrium end of things this is either going to be revision of the qualitative AS stuff or a start on the quantitative A2 concepts. The alternative catalysis ideas would also figure at A2 but this is usually done as part of the quantitative rates topic or as part of transition metals.
    I strongly recommend you get information on where they are up to and where they are going with this.
    Although I don't wish to butt in without knowng more details, I would be wary of applying to a school where I was asked to teach an A-level topic for interview in a subject in which I was little (if any) qualified.