1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

H&S of children in school on strike day

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by lazydaisyflower, Nov 25, 2011.

1. hello,
    Just a query that has come up at our school, all but one of our teachers will be striking on Wednesday but instead of closing the school the head has decided to not close and have one class in. The teacher will be in school on her own with 30 children for some or all of the day, what if something happens - eg an accident at playtime ? a fight ? or she needs the loo and has to leave them on their own etc where would the school stand ?

2. Where will the Head be?

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

This sounds extremely dodgy to me. How will she have a lunch break?! I wouldn't do it if it were me.

4. the head is on a course all day but not striking !!! the rest of us are striking but she won't (which is her right !) I think she was hoping the school would be shut and she would still get paid !

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

The Head should cancel her course!

6. Someone must be joking!
    1 class, 1 teacher? Who is feeding them? Presumably there are support staff in (most aren't in unions).

7. thanks for your replies, not sure about kitchen or dinner staff, so don't know about dinner time, and to who ever asked if this was a joke . . . no unfortunately it isn't. The one teacher out of 9 who isn't striking wanted the day off paid but the head said she should come in ! there might be a TA now who will come in but as she works in another class but surely she shouldn't be covering the class that is in ?

8. Standard practise is to ask non striking staff to come in...but keep children at home in circumstances where there are not many staff not striking. There are three staff at my school not striking. We are closed to kids, but those staff members will have to come into school on Wednesday.

9. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Even the non-striking union, Voice, give advice to their members saying that if they feel it would be unsafe to work because of others' strike actions, then they should advise their head that they will be available for work elsewhere if appropriate, but not coming into school. Suggest your colleague does likewise.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hang on, hang on!
    Isn't there some rule about the number of adults supervising so many children?
    You wouldn't be allowed to be 1 adult i/c of 30 children, or even 20, if you just walked them to the park right next door to the school, crossing no roads.
    So how is it OK to be on your own on school premises?
    That Head should be sacked immediately by the Governors, by the way, is my hard-line view. Going on a course? Do they know that?
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

On one occasion, I had cause to close school owing to extremely heavy snow which prevented a large number of staff even getting their cars off their own roads, let alone coming into school. I was called at home and ranted at by a member of LA staff who told me I could have kept school open by keeping all the pupils (this was a school of 1250, I might add) in the hall and/or sports hall, supervised by any staff that had made it into school.
    After pointing out the unfeasibility of doing so for a whole day with a very large number of bored teenagers (who'd have to sit on the floor), I moved on to asking her how many staff she thought I'd need for such a venture (most kids could get into school, as they lived close by, whereas most staff did not). She said she couldn't answer that, so I pressed her and said 'Come on, you must have an idea - is it '30? 20? 10? 5?' Whereupon she told me I was being silly and finally blurted out 'That's your decision to make, not mine'.
    'That's exactly the point, isn't it?' was my reply.

12. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

You'd think, wouldn't you? But there's really not. Only a requirement for some suitable person to make a reasoned judgement!