1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

gypsy children

Discussion in 'Personal' started by endoftheroad, Feb 29, 2012.

1. endoftheroad

endoftheroad New commenter

Having just watched Big Fat Gypsy wedding, why aren't these families prosecuted for not sending their children to school?

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Because they are allowed 'travelling time' ...

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Because not sending your child to school is not a crime? Thats the main reason.

4. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

It is a legal requirement to make sure your children are in full time education until school leaving age. I cna't see that these families could make any case that they were home schooling.

5. harsh-but-fair

No it's not. That's why it's possible to home educate your children.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You know this from the TV programme or do you have extensive first hand knowledge of all traveller families?

7. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I saw what you did there, harsh, and it ain't on.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Yes, that was naughty wanst it Harshie?

9. harsh-but-fair

It was!

10. Maybe the truancy officer is scared some old crone from the family will curse their first born to die by drowning.

11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

If we accept that people from different cultures have the right to follow those cultures without villification, interference etc, then we should also accept that they are not prepared to accept the norms of the society they are inhabiting that others do. In terms of education, that means that we should not continue to pursue them to enrol their children in school and having done so, make them attend that school. When traveller children do not attend school, it is the school whose attendance figures are under scrutiny, despite the best efforts of the school and the local authority representatives to encourage attendance.
    In the past, i have spent hours and hours attending meetings, chasing up previous schools for attendance and data, arranging for support, providing support and resources. I don't have a problem with that if the pupil has attended and benefitted, but it does seem wasteful if, having put all that in place, the child rarely attends.
    I haven't seen any of the TV programmes; however, everyoine surely would agree that we cannot condone law breaking and dangerous activity. If we were to live in a different country and I know many posters do, we would expect to maintain some of the traditions of our home country, but equally would have to abide by the laws of the country where we are domiciled.

12. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

A very interesting and enjoyable thread. I haven't watched the Gypsy programme and haven't had much experience of travellers.
    Random question, but where do the women tend to have their babies - at hospital or home?

13. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I think it's a real shame that programmes like this sensationalise and misrepresent the great majority of Romani and traveller people.
    Stereotypes are so hard to shift - especially where teachers are concerned. [​IMG]

14. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

So by extension, we could say that 'we' (sic) will remove access to all other benefits provided by the society they choose not to accept, such as free health care, the provision of clean drinking water, the assistance of the fire services and police in protecting them. It's a slippery slope.
    In my opinion, you either choose to live within a society and accept all parts of it, even the parts that may be distasteful to you, or you choose to live outside of that society, but lose the benefits you may have had otherwise.

15. Firstly how did we get from Gypsy students to Genital mutilation? It is part of the CULTURE in some countries. The fact they are Muslim is irrelevant as it is not related to religion. Or are Muslims more barbaric than other groups of people? Because that is how that statement comes across to me.

Why do we always feel like we are superior and somehow better than every other culture/group of people on this earth? Or that we have a right to dictate to them how they should live their lives? I mean we could talk if perhaps our culture/society was perfect and it is far from it.

On topic I work in an inner city school in Manchester. We have avlot of traveller families and it is difficult because of attendance, but in terms of behaviour they aren't different from any other kids.

16. harsh-but-fair

But we still have the situation where at the moment a traveller family can go 'travelling' for weeks on end and other than a T in the register there will be no action, but another non-traveller family can go on holiday in term time, which will then be unauthorised by the HT and could (and occaisonally does) result in a fine and visits from the EWO.
    Not fair is it?

17. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

This is a good point. My school does not generally allow term-time holidays except for exceptional circumstances. A girl in my form took an unauthorised holiday recently and the school have been really quite nasty to the parents over it, yet the traveller childrens' absences are not followed up in the same way and the law is never enforce with regards their frequent absences. Many of our traveller children actually live in houses and are permanent residents, they are certainly not travelling in the traditional sense.

18. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I don't watch it either - the trailers for it are enough to have me hunting for the remote - but this letter was really informative and it made me glad I had never watched the series and told me lots of stuff I didn't know.

19. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Providing travellers have declared their traveller status then they do not appear on the absence figures. I like watching BFGW but it is sensationalist. We have many house based travellers at our school who dont travel anymore but are too scared to declare their true culture due to discrimination. We also have a few travelling gypsies. All are lovely children and I have to say some of my favourite children to teach. Even the travelling gypsies have learnt to change their speech in school though. It was funny seeing one of mine in the supermarket speaking to his grandmother in lingo and then when spotting me reverting to the local non traveller accent.
    The hard bit though with the travelling children is that the boys will only continue education until 13 when they will join the family building business, fine for one as he isnt very bright and would probably end up with manual work anyway, but the other is very bright and could go further. The girls though have no interest in education and can be hard to motivate as they will leave school at 11. However I dont think this is typical anymore as I saw a report recently that said 75% of travellers stay in education until the end now. None of our house based or travelling children have behaviour problems but many of our english non traveller children do. The travellers are lively and cheeky and funny, but not in a disrespectful way and unfailingly polite and well mannered. I wish some of our non traveller children could learn some manners from them.