1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gynae / urinary problems & the menopause ...

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Mrs Mo, Aug 18, 2011.

1. I seem to be having quite a few problems in this area recently - just wondered if anyone else has been through this and come out the other side.
    Have been prescribed oestrogen pessaries for vaginal problems following the menopause; basically have been feeling very sore. Had an internal examination last week by my GP which was very uncomfortable. She said I was quite red & sore-looking down there, probably due to lack of oestrogen (I'm roughly 3 yrs post menopause). She also took a swab which was sent off to the lab.
    Went back for a follow up yesterday and was told the swab she took showed a yeast infection. She also made me do a urine sample as I said i'd had some pelvic pain. When she dip tested this, she said it showed signs of infection too! So I am on antibiotics for this and have a one-off tablet to take for the yeast infection! The only good thing to come out of all this was that she said I looked a lot less "red and sore" down below so she thinks the pessaries are beginning to work.
    Just feeling very fed up. I seem to keep having these wretched UTIs recently - I really hope the pessaries can improve things.[​IMG]

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have no experience in this area. I just wanted to offer some sympathy, that sounds rotten, also to suggest cranberry tablets for the UTIs.
    I had a spate of UTIs once years ago and taking cranberry tablets stopped it. You can drink the juice but it is full of sugar and I struggled to drink tons of it.

3. Yes I have had problems and am perimenopausal...had what I thought were urine infections and turned out to be dryness and soreness making me feel that I needed the loo all the time. When examined the doctor just looked and said I looked too sore to touch. She gave me pessaries for 3 months. Things improved a bit. I was certainly less sore looking, but still had this urge for the loo. Had a smear test too at this time which was very uncomfortable. I looked into alternate ways and now take omega 3, selenium, vit a, c and e. Am now back to normal, might be a coincidence but I ain't risking stopping. I was like that for over six months it was hell and I feel for you.

4. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

The yeast infection element must be making you feel really uncomfortable on its own, let alone with the infection and dryness.
    Have you got some Canesten cream to slosh around? It's great for keeping candida yeast at bay.
    Don't forget the usual advice about cotton underwear, avoiding chemicals, talc and soaps down there and wiping front to back. It can be effective to wash with a jug of warm water whilst on the loo and then pat everything dry carefully afterwards. You can use a hair dryer to dry there after a bath.
    Check that your washing powder isn't causing irritation through residues left on clothing.
    Some people find that if they cut out alcohol and refined sugars and increase consumption of natural yoghurts it helps.
    You probably know all these?

5. Thanks Giraffe. I do have some canestan cream which does help. I dont normally suffer from thrush so not sure what has caused it. Could be linked to the sore lady parts - I guess if you are red and raw it can encourage other infections. As for the utis - I dont normally suffer from those much either. Normally, they are an occasional occurrence; I just seem to have had a run of them lately. When I've had them in the past, I've had leukocytes and blood in my urine ... this time the GP said I was showing some indication nitrites. Never had that one before. I dont think she was 100% sure if it was a uti, but she put me on nurofantoin just in case.

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I get on well with a product called Balance Activ that's good for dry and sore lady parts!

7. I think I've seen this in Tesco - might give it a try.

8. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

Get yourself on HRT - that'll sort out the problem pronto. Cranberry capsules - seven seas ones also may help.