1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gymnastics for Reception!

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by stopwatch, Nov 22, 2011.

1. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I'm a secondary trained PE teacher working overseas, so don't have formal training in this age group.
    I have worked with Reception age/Yr 1 for the last 10 years so have some experience
    I would say adhere to the following:
    Don't expect it to be too structured (ie 'make up 3 moves where your body is rolling') but you can teach some skills formally (pencil roll, egg roll, jumps with shapes off the bench).
    It HAS to be fun, and there can be some exploration on their part.
    I do have 1 unit of free play where I get out bigger equipment (wall frames, tables, benches, inclined benches, boxes) but I give guidelines/rules as to what they can/cannot do (ie don't jump or climb higher than 'X', only jump from height onto 'spongy' mats (mini crash mats) and not onto 'skinny' mats (normal gym mats).
    Create 3 or 4 work areas which are different to each other and let them have 5 to 10 minutes on each, rotating round.
    It should be more about free play and (safe) experimentation IMHO
    Hope this helps and it is the best I can explain it.