1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gymnastics for Reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by fittodrop, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Have to say I would not do p.e. in the gym with any reception class. The everday curriculum should cater for physical development both indoors and out but particularly outdoors. Possibly just before they go up into year one to get used to getting undressed and dressed but otherwise no. I've done it 20 years ago before the E.Y.F.S. came in but I much prefer the way children are able to be physically active throughout the day. Have you been told you need to do this or do you think its the best way yourself?

2. zippygeorgeandben

zippygeorgeandben Occasional commenter

Claire if you want to PM me, I can chat with you about what we do at our school. We hold PE lessons in the hall for 30 minutes once a week, sometimes shorter and also do an outdoor Games slot as well (yes, even in this weather!)

I'll try and help.

3. Just came across this thread and it is really interesting. Up to now, I havent had my class on days where we have the hall slot but I am changing my working days.
    Id be really interested in seeing examples of people's gymnastics planning for Reception or a list of skills people would cover over the year and how this is built upon in Year 1?
    Thanks

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Same here. Our outdoor area isn't big enough to provide all their Physical Development needs, besides which it's good practice dressing and undressing and most of all they really enjoy it.

5. We have the ropes, scramble tables, benches,mats out every week for about 1/2 hour, we take it in turns with the other Rec/Yr1 class to get it all out and put it all away. Changing is an important part of it all and we are working on getting faster, I play classical music and expect them to change in silence (almost there!!) It's great fun!!