1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gymnastics for Autistic children

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by emylou, Mar 12, 2011.

1. emylou

emylou New commenter

I have an autistic child in my class who is amazing at climbing, balancing, handstands etc but am not sure there's any gyms round that he could go to so we could help him do it in safe places; was thinking "drop-in" sessions might be best and hopefully the parents will be able to take him at the weekends or something. Any ideas hw I can find out more about places in my area? Many thanks

2. Many local authorities developed leisure programmes for children with disabilities using funding for short breaks under the Aiming High initiative - some are continuing these into the new financial year.
    In our own area, because of the short breaks programme, staff at a number of leisure facilities are now trained and experienced at dealing with children with a range of disabilities including autism.
    Might be worth investigating in your locality.