1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gymnastics club ideas

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by Chocaholic99, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Chocaholic99

Chocaholic99 New commenter

Hi I am after some ideas for a gymnastics club once a week. The age range is 4-7 and the ability is very mixed. Noone belongs to a gym club outside of school. The older ones are the type who do cartwheels on the playground but the younger ones have no experience of anything whatsoever. What can I do to make sure it's inclusive for all? Not too hard but not too boring. Any suggestions much appreciated. I have mats & benches available to use. I could probably use hoops etc for holding activities but I want to keep it gym based. I'm not a teacher I'm a TA. Thanks, all ideas welcomed.

2. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

You may wish just to check up on the health and safety side of running such an activity - it’s a bit different from an art club or board games etc.! Would your school require you to have some training or qualifications to take this club?

4-7s all together is a wide range of physical development to accommodate in the same session.

3. Chocaholic99

Hi, thanks for replying. I have been asked to run this club after an outside company stopped. I don't have any formal qualifications but have a background in gymnastics myself. I've only got 6 children & have said I wouldn't be happy to have anymore join at this point. I have coached year 2s for school competitions for a couple of years but that is following the KS1 steps. The steps aren't suitable for this club because of the younger ones plus I don't want it to be boring for the older ones who learn the steps during PE. I was just wondering if anyone else had run a similar club & i could pinch some ideas.
    I do:

a warm up with stretches
    then play warm up game - simon says, traffic lights etc
    then the tricky part of keeping all involved - ideas please
    a cool down at the end

I had the same concerns you stated but have been persuaded to trial it. Thanks Violaclef

4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

That’s OK.
    Are you thinking of using any apparatus? And are you thinking of the children being creative in what they do or was is your idea to teach them specific skills?
    Maybe having themes like ‘balances’, ‘rolls’ etc. will mean that the children can approach the activities at their own level? Maybe when you’ve focused on several themes they have to make up a routine with a partner using three/four/five elements?

5. Chocaholic99

I'm going to use mats & benches mainly but have access to the pe store so might get hoops & a ball too. I'll introduce themes, teach/support where appropriate then let them be creative if they feel confident to. 2nd week coming up so I'll see how it goes. Thanks for your suggestions, you've been a big help!

6. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Thank you! :) And all the best with the gymnastics club @Chocaholic99!