1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gym club after school - HELP

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by starlight3, Jan 23, 2012.

1. I am an NQT teaching in Primary eductation. I have just been 'given' the job of taking an after school gym club each week. HELP is needed. I would be grateful for some suggestions for what to do during the 40 min weekly sessions. Is there anywhere I could get some info? Many thanks!

2. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Surely if you're a primary teacher you have been teaching some gymnastics since September. The gym club is an extension of the work covered in class.

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Its difficult to make a judgement as an outsider without knowing:
    • What expertise you have if any
    • How big the group is that you will be taking
    • What the age range will be
    • (Most importantly) what level and type of gymnastics they are expecting you to teach
    If they want you to do fully fledged Olympic/formal Gymnastics including vaulting,high level work and rotational flight skills (eg somersaults etc) then you may well be running the risk of an accident unless you are familiar with teaching this.
    If they just want you to do basic floorwork and agility, or educational Gymnastics then it is a different story and more easy to do.

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter