1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guns!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lizdot, Sep 24, 2015.

1. lizdot

lizdot New commenter

There seem to be a lot of gun mad children in FS this year. Just about any item seems to become a play weapon (fortunately not usually used with malice) I don't normally make a big issue about it but I really can't turn a blind eye this time. Hoping for some advice please!

2. LauraJeanD

LauraJeanD New commenter

Why would you need to "do anything" or "turn a blind eye". If that's what motivates them then use it to your advantage. It's a natural thing for them to be interested in. It's a part of life.

3. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

Could you try to start talking about tools we use for hunting? Then, you could go on being a hunter or a farmer. First people on Earth were hunters because they did not know how to take care of animals...

I am starting to imagine the learning environment, that could be created, with children making tools (some of them guns), farms, classifying wild and domestic animals.... hunting stories, animals hunting for their food.. you name it!

4. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

You could try to start talking about hunters. First people on Earth were hunters because they have not learnt, yet, how to take care of animals.

I can imagine a learning environment with children making tools for hunting (some of them guns), classifying wild and domestic animals, talking about farms, hunting stories, animals hunting for their food, ... You name it!

5. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I don't think you need to 'do' anything. It's what children do, it is a normal and healthy part of play and children playing with guns do not grow up to be serial killers. Read 'We don't play with guns here' by Penny Holland - really interesting read.

6. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Why not? What makes you uncomfortable about this type of play?

Guns feature in a lot of films and television programmes that the children in your class may watch. Surely it is only natural that some of them want to act out what they've seen? After all, one of the Characteristics of Effective Learning includes children "playing with what they know". If the play is not malicious/hurting anyone, why must it be stopped?

I can recommend the book "We Don't Play With Guns Here" by Penny Holland for a discussion about why playing with 'guns' does not have to be a negative thing.

7. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

@mandala1, glad you liked that book too!