1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

gumption -- and the lack of it

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Dec 23, 2018.

1. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

What prompted you to myself over this now? Do you think it would different if it happened now,?

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I don't know what makes central London special. I imagine that if a Northern Irish guttersnipe can have a car so can an English person. I didn't know you lived in Central London. I just thought the hotel staff deserved a little annoyance and inconvenience.
    I have a black heart.

3. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Ordinary people who live wghere we live find it hard to have cars and there isn't mucih space for car oarks either.

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

It sounds like this has been playing on your mind for a long time

5. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Well, it happened some time ago. My faith in human nature is undented but it was just a shame that fear of the boss got in the way of a cheap and simple kindness. I only used it as an example really.

Have a lovely day, dunnocks. I'm off to prepare the vegetables. Giblets are on. Nizeman's having a ie-in, so I can work in peace.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

People were not always like that.

I was at the Bradford City Fire Tragedy (the memories of that day are not something I will ever forget). The entire local community were involved in the aftermath - many acts of kindness were carried out without thinking.

It was a different world then I think

7. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I hope not, peakster. Anyway, we were lucky - nobody was hurt. Just a terrifying experience of having the house next to yours in your terrace go up in flames.

As for the terrible tragedy in Bradford, I saw it happen live on tv and, even though I wasn't there, I'm still haunted by the dreadful images.

8. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I think there have always been examples of people behaving badly and selfishly, but both in the present and past they are always vastly outnumbered by people being good and doing the decent thing in times of crisis.

nizebaby and bombaysapphire like this.