1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

gumption -- and the lack of it

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Dec 23, 2018.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Some years ago, the top floor of the house (a restaurant) next to us caught fire. We live in a late 18th century terrace, so you can imagine the fear of it spreading.

Anyway, we left our flat at 4am on a bitterly cold night, and were joined by a group of people who'd been evacuated from neighbouring properties. We were all terrified, because the flames were rising high in the sky.

There's a fairly 'high end' hotel in our street, and we went there to ask for shelter and a cup of tea. Nothing doing! The other hotel close by also refused to help.

You can probably tell that this has rankled. My question is this:

What ridiculous can't do fear led these hotels to treat their neighbours so badly? What were they afraid of?

2. SirPurrAlot

SirPurrAlot Established commenter

You'd have to ask the hotel managers. I don't see how we could guess their motifs. Sounds very frightening, though - glad you survived OK.

3. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

You're right. Howveer, you have to ask yourself why the night staff were so parhetic.

towncryer, ilovesooty and nomad like this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Probably because they had no authority to help and were afraid they would lose their jobs if they made any decisions on their own.

5. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Well, that's the point of my thread. They had no gumption. The owners would probably have rewarded them if they'd shown a bit of gumptìon.

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Hmmm. Did you read about the owners of The Royal Hotel in Hull this week? A charity had paid for a block booking to give 28 homeless people a two-night Christmas break but when the owners heard that it was for the homeless they cancelled the booking - they certainly didn't reward the managers for taking the booking.

(The story has a nice ending: the DoubleTree Hilton in Hull has taken on the commitment and offered their accommodation for free.)

sodalime and Jamvic like this.
  7. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

That's a lovely story but not really relevant to what happened to us. We were neighbours who'd been forced out our homes by a highly visible fire. In a way, that's irrelevant. It's the jobsworth attitude that counts.

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Hope you reviewed them on TripAdvisor!;)

9. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

No, because this happened pre tripadvisor.

10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I'm just making the point that you shouldn't rely on management rewarding staff for showing a bit of gumption.
    upload_2018-12-23_7-56-2.jpeg

11. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Shame!

nizebaby likes this.
  12. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Name and shame really! Not a very "British" attitude"!
    What a horrid and worrying thing to have had happen. MrREMfan is manic about toasters and God help anyone leaving a toaster plugged in (his family had a minor house fire from a toaster bursting into flame. Though has anyone used US electric sockets? I found them really wobbly and 'dodgy'! I returned to good old British standard plugs with great relief.
    Hope you didn't;t have any/too much smoke damage from that fire tho @nizebaby

13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

People were evacuated near us recently - a car hit a gas main. The local golf club offered everyone displaced free food, a room, access to a shower etc. The positive publicity generated would have been worth a fortune. I like to think that they didn't do it for that reason. It is a small local business though so the owners were able to make the decision.

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Having a lack of common humanity... or working in a system where expression of said common humanity could incur punishment...

Not at all like teaching.

sodalime likes this.
  15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Do you and your neighbours park to the maximum disruption of the hotel's traffic?

16. colpee

colpee Star commenter

They had no common decency. I wouldn’t give people like that any credit by thinking they might be ‘worried’ about helping

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I confess here Rac to being confused.

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Just a little inconvenience to make the patrons a little less pleasant during their stay.

19. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

When an old lady had a fall near a high school (which was right next to a doctor's surgery), some students ran in and asked for a doctor or nurse to come to help. They refused and told the students to call 999.

I'm afraid many people won't go against 'policy' to help. Teachers can be as bad (not all of us).

20. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

No. We don't have a car. Why would you think that? We live in central london.