1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GUITARISTS and GCSE composing.

Discussion in 'Music' started by noswad, Mar 27, 2011.

1. My GCSE music groups are increasingly made up of electric guitarists most of who play very well. eg Muse stuff etc. However, if asked to compose using a computer and keyboard, many struggle. Ask them to compose with their guitar and naturally they spark with ideas. From a personal point of view, as a pianist, I feel really at home composing at the keyboard.
    <u>My question is this</u>:
    Can a composition for solo electric guitar achieve a high grade (B-A*)? This is assuming the composition contains imaginative ideas that are developed, use of structure, understanding of chord sequence etc.
    I know that some of my guitar playing students would labour for very little at the computer but could rattle off a decent composition pretty quickly.
    Any thoughts please?

2. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

So why can't they compose using the computer inputting the guitar in audio?Layering, adding effects, editing.............................
    Teach drum editor and they could quickly have a basic drum pattern.
    They then may then wish to improve and develop.......
    As for grades, you must apply the marking criteria but I have had A*- B with guitar students in the past.

3. saxo07

saxo07 New commenter

I've had loads of success with guitarists composing for their instrument in the past (both at GCSE and 6th form).My year 10 group is very guitar heavy and I've invested in Guitar Pro 6 (I think it was &pound;150 for 5 licenses) which allows them to produce scores in tab and notation, as well as inputting effects, drop D tuning etc. The sound set that comes with it is pretty good (also includes drums and some orchestral instruments) and as most are good tab readers they found it more accessible than Sib 5. You can also get a MIDI guitar as an add on (which will be my next purchase, budget allowing!). This has really improved my group's confidence and made them connect their sound knowledge of guitar performance with composition.