1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guinea fowl recipe

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by rosievoice, Jan 8, 2012.

1. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Having guinea fowl tomorrow. I usually roast it with a sausagemeat and apricot stuffing, and drape bacon across the breast. It just doesn't inspire me at the moment, (and I have run out of apricots... )
    Does anyone have a tasty suggestion please?

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

I usually just roast it as I would a chicken, but....
    put a thick bed of sweated onions under the bird, a few sprigs of thyme tucked under its wings and in the cavity, then pour a generous splosh or 3 of sherry over the lot before covering with foil and cooking in a slow over for an hour. Uncover and blast to crisp the skin for 15 minutes. Add more sherry to the onions and juices and serve with a green salad and crusty bread: yum!

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

That sounds good H.

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I sometimes make a piri-piri marinade which goes really well with guinea fowl.

5. I read an article in the paper recently that said guinea fowl is the new foodie food. Chefs are extolling its virtues and suprmarkets have been running out as a result.
    Honestly! Some of us have been eating it for years without needing a starry chef telling us to!
    Anyway, I love it simply roasted with some lemon thyme stuffed inside and lots of butter and bacon to keep it moist.

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I too have been cheerfully nomming on GFfor years. Best thing to do with them TBH.....bloody noisy blighters!

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Isn't it funny to find that you're in the van of foodyism? This keeps happening to me and I'm wondering how I can profit from my prescience.I love GF Try cooking it with cherries next time cherries are affordable. It's a lovely combination.

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

when we are on holiday in France we always choose a GF from the spit man in the market rather than a chicken.

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

Yum. I do think, though, that in the end a reallygood chicken is better than a guinea fowl, though the lastter makes brilliant stock.

10. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Thank you everyone. Yes, guinea fowl make a wonderful stock, better than chicken! I didn't realise GF had become trendy. Nice to discover I have been ahead of the game for years!