1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guilty Pleasures

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nick909, Feb 5, 2011.

1. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Okay, we've all established that there are some serious foodies on here; connoisseurs of impeccable taste and fantastic cooks with some of the most refined palates in the country. However. Everyone has their weaknesses. And everyone likes at least some sort of trashy, highly-processed food that they perhaps might not admit to in polite company.
    I'm sure this has been done before, but for the benefits of us newbies, and considering that there's possibly a wider base for responses now;
    What are your foodie guilty pleasures?
    I'll start..
    Laughing Cow Cheese sandwiches made with processed white sliced bread.
    Heinz Salad Cream as a dip for celery or sometimes just spread on krispbread.
    Really cheap, trashy crisps, such as Spicy Tomato Snaps, Wotsits, Beef Space Raiders and Salt n Vinegar Twirls
    Fish Finger Sandwiches
    Cheao Chinese Instant Noodles with ludicrously highly flavoured reconstituted sauces
    There, got that out of my system and I can now face myself again. Although I'm sure I'll remember more soon...
    Yours?
    (Anyone who says they don't have any is a liar! [​IMG])

2. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Okay, we've all established that there are some serious foodies on here; connoisseurs of impeccable taste and fantastic cooks with some of the most refined palates in the country. However. Everyone has their weaknesses. And everyone likes at least some sort of trashy, highly-processed food that they perhaps might not admit to in polite company.
    I'm sure this has been done before, but for the benefits of us newbies, and considering that there's possibly a wider base for responses now;
    What are your foodie guilty pleasures?
    I'll start..
    Laughing Cow Cheese sandwiches made with processed white sliced bread.
    Heinz Salad Cream as a dip for celery or sometimes just spread on krispbread.
    Really cheap, trashy crisps, such as Spicy Tomato Snaps, Wotsits, Beef Space Raiders and Salt n Vinegar Twirls
    Fish Finger Sandwiches
    Cheao Chinese Instant Noodles with ludicrously highly flavoured reconstituted sauces
    There, got that out of my system and I can now face myself again. Although I'm sure I'll remember more soon...
    Yours?
    (Anyone who says they don't have any is a liar! [​IMG])

3. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

A recent discovery:
    Crispy onion butty, Sainsbury's sell the onions in a little pot.

4. Kraft's cheesy pasta. have to stock up on visits to Scotland because I can't get the stuff down here, which is probably just as well
    [​IMG]

5. I don't have any guilty pleasures! I only ever eat pure, natural, healthy food!
    I don't even like biscuits or crisps!
    *scuttles off dropping a list as she goes*.......

Custard cream biscuits - dunked of course!
    Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney Pud (It's the thick, solid pastry!)
    Pom-Baers- currently pickled onion flavour.
    Peanut Butter, Bacon and Banana toasties.
    Diet Dr Pepper
    Jelly Belly Jelly Beans

6. I used to love these, used to just eat them on its own. Also used to love krafts single cheese. Would only eat single cheese now with a burger but that's it.
    Guilty pleasure now would be:
    Candy floss - sugar and food colour but tastes so good.
    Chipsticks crsips.
    I can't think of anything else right now- I'm sure there is more though. I've never tasted a good ready meal, hate instant noodles with a passion...

7. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

tinned macaroni cheese with a tomato chopped into it
    super noodles with added veggies
    wheat crunchies

8. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I did put lines between that lot but TES ate them

9. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Fish finger sandwiches- on white plastic bread, wth ketchup on one side and mayo on the other.
    spaghetti hoops and buttered wholemeal toast fingers to dip in the sugary sauce. I never have these in front of my son- I'd never feed him this kind of ****!
    magnum ice lollies- I know the ice cream isn't real, but I do like them anyway.

10. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Oh,and here's one I probably haven't had in a decade but really fancy now:
    Ready salted McCoys on a granary sandwich, with plenty of buter and some black pepper. I wish I had some McCoys to have one right now.
    This is a particularly Scottish delight, I fear!

11. granary sandwich
    a particularly Scottish delight
    Far too healthy! Nice sliced white plastic bread would be much more authentic!
    Mr C likes something very similar but they must be salt and vinegar crisps.

12. Pot noodles.
    Vesta curries (always have one when in the UK!)
    Bacon butties dripping with butter in a white, squidgy bap.
    Fish finger butties with tartar sauce.
    Fish finger and baked bean "splodge".
    Bird's custard (always better than homemade, even if very yellow)
    Salt and vinegar crisp sandwiches (with white plastic bread)
    Fried white plastic bread with a fried egg on top.
    Potato salad made with mayo.
    Even better is potato salad made with salad cream.
    A McMuffin breakfast (don't tell my kids, they are not allowed one).
    Hot dogs, Danish style (my kids love these, tee hee)

13. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Fray Bentos pies in a tin! So long as you remember to take the lid off first!

14. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I had one about a year ago, and thought they tasted different to how I remember them! They claimed to have a 'new and improved taste', but I thought they taste worse. Given that they were a staple Sunday lunch when I was a student, I was gutted. Of course, it could be that my tastes have changed a little since then...!

15. How I would love to delve into cheesy spaghetti hoops on toast, but alas gluten free spaghetti is pants!

Fish finger sandwiches, with loads of tomato ketchup, which can be made GF, although not quite the same guilty pleasure.

Caramac 'chocolate'

Lemon curd sandwiches.

16. BelleDuJour

They are pretty gross! Gravy and lumps with greasy pastry but awesome with a can of baked beans!

17. BelleDuJour

OMG....now you're talking!
    I remember, as a child, getting my Blue Peter annual for Christmas and there was a recipe for chocolate apples (like toffee apples but chocolate). They did milk chocolate apples, white chocolate apples and...............CARAMAC apples decorated with jelly tots! Yummy!!!

18. I love crisp sandwiches - but I'm a cheese and onion girl when it comes to that.
    Fish finger sandwiches are great for after a night out.
    Pepperami - "it's a bit of an animal" so the slogan goes. Yes, but which bit?
    Chocolate milk.
    Jelly when it's still in its cubed form.
    I'm hungry now and only a fish finger sanddwich will do!

19. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

White bread chip sandwiches or crisp sandwiches.

Chocolate eclairs

sorry been awake since 4am (2am GMT) and memory is failing!!

20. Just had to reply to this thread!
    Roast chicken flavour crisps and dairylea spread sandwich on white bread!
    Mmmmmm haven't had one of those for years!