1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guilty conscience vs. stuff you love...?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon3372, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Pobs and others will hit me - I tend to hit myself about this.
    However, I have one weakness (and those who know me will know I am otherwise very sensible and disciplined!)
    I love natural yoghurt. I buy a big tub and take it to work.
    And I like fruit in it.
    And...sometimes, even in Winter.....

I buy strawberries from Mexico and raspberries from Chile [​IMG]

But apple in yoghurt tastes yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucky and I can only take so much tinned blinkin peaches and my freezer is too small to save loads of berries and I have no pantry for preserved stuff.

2. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Wherever possible, I insist on British, local produce. I do sometimes get seduced by mangoes at the Egyptian supermarket though. Like Bethannie, I buy fairtrade wherever possible too.
    I HATE the fact that you can even buy strawberries when they are not in season. Not only do they taste foul but it makes Scarlett have a strop every time we walk past them because loves strawberries but I refuse to buy them if they are not in season - you try explaining that strawberries aren't in season to a 20-month old!

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Not liking bananas means this is no problem for me. [​IMG]

Well the making of marmalade developed from a shipwreck off the coast near Dundee. But even so Seville oranges, as the genus is known are not native to Seville either but originate in China. They found their way to the Middle East along the Silk Route and from there to Spain.
    I have picked them in Damascus and Marrakesh and made delicious marmalade from them.

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I do so love foie gras [​IMG]

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Well....if we are moving on to general guilty pleasures - not just fruit out of season......I will confess to two......
    I like fat! Animal fat. On meat. I don't want lean meat! I only eat small portions, but I like my beef marbled with tasty fat! I like porky crackling! And I love bacon fat poured over swedes!

And I eat white bread! Usually I eat wholewheat/granary bread. And if I can get Landbrot/greybread/pumpernickel et.c then I will.....but sometimes I confess I eat pappy white bread. It's the only bread for a bacon sarnie (with brown sauce and a mug - never a cup and saucer - of tea!)...it makes the best toastie soldiers for a boiled egg....and it is just so good when toasted and buttered and spread with Gentleman's Relish! (Is a lady permitted to eat Gentleman's Relish?!)

6. jonkers

jonkers New commenter

This is appalling. I know that you always try to buy British produce in season so I do hope that you spoke to the manager.
    It is exhausting I know, but we have to keep pressurising the managers of the shops where we spend our money. We should all buy British veg in season but accept that there are fruit and veg that we cannot grow here - I'm thinking mangoes/bananas. Other veg such as Chilean asparagus in January is wrong on every level, tasteless and with a carbon footprint the size of a house. Wait until April for a taste sensation and the warm glow that comes from doing the right thing [​IMG]

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Yes, like strawberries in June.

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

There's so little point in eating asparagus out of season. Much as people prattle on about British asparagus being the best, I think it's purely a case of freshness. If it's been picked a week before you get to eat it, it's not going to taste great, wherever it's come from - whether Britain, China or anywhere. The sugars will all have turned to starch and it will be mealy and disappointing. If I lived in France, I'd eat French asparagus; Peru, Peruvian or China, Chinese. As I live in the UK - I'm happy to wait til April, for the good stuff!
    For this reason, I rarely eat supermarket asparagus, even in season. No way of knowing how long since it's been picked! Much rather get it from a farm shop, or even out of the back of a van in a lay by.

9. jonkers

jonkers New commenter

Just so long as it hasn't been liberated from the local grower's field under cover of darkness by our travelling "friends" who have "x-mas trees 4 sale" the day after 80 trees have mysteriously broken through the fence and walked away from our neighbouring garden centre! [​IMG]

10. We have to be judicious about this travel miles thing anyway. Chocolate, coffee, coconut, tea, bananas are seriously restricted in where and how they can be commercially grown.
    But there can be weird economies and diseconomies. I saw an item about flowers grown in Kenya (Nigeria? - can't remember the specifics). It turns out that because they use geothermal power to run their greenhouses, the products have less footprint even <u>after </u>they've been flown to Europe than the same blooms grown a few miles from a market. If they were producing lettuces or other veg there might be the same result for all I know.
    But I weep when I see 'fresh' cherries on sale here in June or July. Flown from the USA!!! People seem not to understand that cherries are strictly spring produce - and they are available for only a short period even then unless you have an unusually benign season. As we did this year. Didn't have to fork out $18 a kilo for cherries for the Xmas table this year - they were much the same price as apples. And apricots were even cheaper.
    As for strawberries. Huh! I don't care what time of year they're on sale. The commercial breeds are large, tasteless, cardboard replicas of the real deal grown at home.

11. The snippets of general knowledge you learn on here...
    That is the kind of question that one day turns up on WWTBAM.

12. I hope you don't mind that I buy German whenever possible [​IMG]
    On a more serious note - I tend to buy local produce not because of some feeling of patriotism or local pride (I am afraid I am not that stoical) but purely because of freshness.
    Strawberries in Winter are normally tasteless but these ones were not bad (I wouldn't buy Dutch ones for example at this time of year - well, I wouldn't buy German ones at this time of year!).
    I do think about food miles - it is my job!
    But sometimes...I can't resist.
    Anyway - a colleague came along today and told me off because I have a stinking cold and she said "told you there were no vitamins in those strawberries" - and she gave me....

an orange [​IMG]

13. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

Going to open this up even more and talk about foods that I love that really aren't "proper" foods... the guilty element being the fact that they don't require cooking knowledge or are premade.
    Number one- Bird's Custard!
    Number two- using stock cubes rather than making it from scratch.
    Number three- Gravy granules- c'mon.... admit it, am sure everyone has used them at some point or another, particulary if making something such as bangers and mash and not having cooked a roast to make proper gravy out of.
    To go back to the original debate, I also eat bananas all the time and usually have them chopped up in my porridge. Dried coconut is also a fave snack... neither of those grow in Germany! In fact, dried berries, nuts and seeds are basically my main snack and I always take a pot of them to work every day.
    I do enjoy seasonal fruit and veg and have found that it is trickier to get things out of season here in Bavaria. The Germans go particulalry crazy for white asparagus and I have come to enjoy this time of year as practically every restaurant brings in a special "Spargelspeisekarte" (Asparagus menu) which always raises a smile amongst my international friends, as the phenomenon barely exists outside of Germany.

14. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I am coming on to confess the cherries I have been eating recently. My excuse is that it is keeping me away from the chocolate and cakes. I am still on Weight watchers so I need to replace my sweet temptations with fruit.
    Bananas are another essential for surviving a diet!

15. Crikey, since when did you learn such patience?
    [​IMG]