1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guildford, Surrey

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tartetatin, Apr 4, 2011.

1. That's really helpful, thanks to you both.

2. It's also got a lively arts scene, especially music which is due to Guildford being home to the Academy of Contemporary Music, (ACM) who put on lots of gigs etc, and the University which has a really good Music department (and the accompanying orchestras etc that go with that).
    Lots and lots to see around the area. Wisley, RHS place, is just up the road and is lovely all year around. It's also got a lovely Cathedral - a really modern one.
    I'd agree about it being an expensive place though.

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I did my MA in Guildford, and i lived on campus. I was there for just under a year, in 2000-2001, so it's probably changed since.
    The town is quite 'posh' with expensive shops and so on, and the high street is pretty small. I thought it was a nice place, and i imagine the schools would be pretty good in that sort of area.
    There's a sports centre there with a pool and ice rink (well, i assume there still is) which would be great for kids. It's also a short train journey to London, which would be great for kids too - they can take them to the museums and stuff.

4. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Good access to the motorway network as well, without it being a problem, if they need that.

5. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

A friend of mine lives in Merrow and seems happy enough there.
    His sons attend George Abbot - a state comprehensive rated outstanding. I know that he is very happy with the school.
    Town centre congestion is a problem, but where isn't these days?