1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guidelines, rules and what you are allowed to do

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Aug 9, 2020.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

This is massively confusing, yet it is what is in the news every day. Rules are not not the same as guidelines What you are allowed to do is not the same as what you are advised to do.
    Why are we not being told what is actually permitted?

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

agathamorse and LondonCanary like this.
  3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I think it has been repeated many times (it may vary a bit, depending on your location).
    Is there something specific you wan't to do?

4. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I think the word 'guidelines' is ill-chosen since it suggests a voluntary following of the rules.

agathamorse and stopwatch like this.
  5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

So that when we get a second spike it will be our fault.

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Following the rules is, by and large, a voluntary matter - that's why they are couched in terms of things you "should not" do, rather than things that are illegal to do.

It is only things listed as against the law in the document posted by Nomad (such as gatherings of more than 30 in a home) that can result in a fine or court action.

That would be an impossibly long list: you are allowed to have a bath ... use the telephone ... cook a meal ... swear at prime ministerial broadcasts .... :D

7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Change your name to Cummings and do what the hell u want!

8. florian gassmann

Unfortunately, his trip to Durham was in accordance with the guidance although some would say it wasn't within the spirit of the guidance. Better examples would be changing your name to Neil Ferguson, Catherine Calderwood, or Kyle Walker.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Where the ambiguity and general flannel about ' rules' and ' guidance' becomes worrying is upon our return to school when this ' advice' must surely become ' must do'.
    We can't have students pointing to the large crowds in beer gardens and beaches saying, as we know they will " What about them then ?"

10. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Cummings was the start of the rot.

A liar. He was only within the guidance if you believe his lies and eyetest/covid nonsense.

#lies
    #liar
    #lyingliar

11. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Not the trip to Barnard Castle to 'check his eyesight' - or the alleged second trip to the NE.

12. florian gassmann

Antonia Staats was busy visiting Professor Neil Ferguson several days before Cummings left for Durham, but let's not allow any facts to spoil the issue.

13. florian gassmann

The police said that the Barnard Castle trip might have broken the law, but it was not something they felt needed any action.

14. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

While I can more or less keep in mind what I am and am not allowed to do, or advised not to do, I don't really know what I should do. My inclination is to stay at home and not do anything, but then I'm not spending any money. If everyone behaved like me the economy would be in an even worse position. But it's not helping the economy if I get ill, either.

15. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

That's a truth teller then. A bit like the puzzling question there are two tribes on an island and one are truth tellers and the other tribe are liars.
    What question would you ask a tribe member if you came to a fork in the road and needed to get to the town?

16. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I've decided the best thing is to stay at home only going out for the food shop and any essentials in the local shops. Anything I can't get there I'll buy online. I have discovered that the cat food for my old cat is cheaper from the local pet food store so that's a plus.

Scintillant, Jamvic and Morninglover like this.
  17. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

I can't speak for OP, but lots of people near me were unclear about which areas were included in the 'local lockdown'. They (a number of people commenting on local social media groups) also found it hard to understand why they couldn't meet a family member-even if 'distanced and masked' in their own garden, yet it's permitted for them to go to the pub/travel into other areas, send their children back to school, go to theme parks etc. They also questioned whether guidelines meant laws that could OR would be enforced.
    Relatively few didn't want to stay safe-most just couldn't make sense of the rules.

Dunteachin likes this.
  18. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Cummings was the very public face of all this. Who knows what effect his actions have had on the health of some of our citizens.

Why on Earth you keep defending such a useless shower is baffling.

19. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

This seems contrary to the OP in that people did know the rules, they just didn't want to follow the ones they disagreed with.
    You either follow rules or you don't.

ACOYEAR8 likes this.
  20. florian gassmann

I don't. I simply keep correcting the mistakes of others. Pretending that Cummings is the "very public face" of anything is laughable. He remains secretive and we never know what advice he gives to the PM. Cummings has only ever made one broadcast - to give his account of going to Durham.

Professor Neil Ferguson, on the other hand, was frequently on the TV and radio before he resigned in disgrace. HE "was the very public face of all this".