1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guided Writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jothomas1, Jun 8, 2011.

1. I am a PGCE student just on my final placement. I have an interview coming up where I have to teach Guided Writing to a group of 12 children......I don't know where to start! Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

2. I would suggest with a learning objective.

3. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

12? I'd never do G Writing with more than 6.

4. Guided writing is incredibly broad if you follow the line taken by the Primary Strategy materials. It could be anything from a series of pointers on a specific aspect addressed to the whole class or an intervention within a lesson/ across a series of lessons with any number of children (although ideally it would be a small group of 6 or fewer). The key component is that it is based firmly on assessment and the needs of a particular group (that might cover a range of abilities but have a similar need in terms of the focus). Without knowing the children, I don't really see how you could carry out a guided group in the "official" sense. However, I think it is safe to assume that they just mean that you will be guiding a small group of 12 in a short burst of writing instruction - guided writing just sounds good. To receive worthwhile advice, you really have to specify the year group.

5. Zoot

Zoot New commenter

I agree with the above post. You certainly need to know the year group and the genre you will be teaching. If the school could also let you know the ability of the group, you can choose the right objective by choosing the correct pupil writing target. This is found on the Literacy framework. Click on pupil writing targets - select year group and writing level. Even if you don't need to go to these lengths for the observed activity; you certainly need to be aware of how a class teacher would be using these materials for effective guided writing so it would be worth reading through them.
    Good luck.