1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guided Writing - Year 2 advice needed

Discussion in 'Primary' started by scorpio12, Apr 5, 2012.

1. scorpio12

scorpio12 New commenter

Hello,

I am an inexperienced Year 2 teacher looking for some advice regarding Guided Writing. Please be kind as feel a bit embarrassed writing this in case really obvious!! :)

When working with a group on a specific objective do you tend to keep them 'as a group' asking pupils to verbalise their sentence - giving feedback to extend them, them giving them time to write it down before gathering back as a group to discuss the next part etc so it is a 'group effort'.

Or do you do an initial input as a group then let them get on with their independent writing - talking to individual pupils at a time about specific things they need to work on.

Or do you do something else! I know depending on objective/ability level the structure would vary but just looking for any ideas or feedback. Thanks :)

2. scorpio12

scorpio12 New commenter

Hello,

I am an inexperienced Year 2 teacher looking for some advice regarding Guided Writing. Please be kind as feel a bit embarrassed writing this in case really obvious!! :)

When working with a group on a specific objective do you tend to keep them 'as a group' asking pupils to verbalise their sentence - giving feedback to extend them, them giving them time to write it down before gathering back as a group to discuss the next part etc so it is a 'group effort'.

Or do you do an initial input as a group then let them get on with their independent writing - talking to individual pupils at a time about specific things they need to work on.

Or do you do something else! I know depending on objective/ability level the structure would vary but just looking for any ideas or feedback. Thanks :)

3. I do both! My guided writing groups are flexible, depending on need. So, if I know there are say 7 children who need to work on improving adjectives, whatever their ability group, I'll pull them together for a focused guided writing session.
    I will often give a guided writing group a little task to set them off while I go and check all the other groups are OK to start their task - so possibly: read this passage, underline all the really powerful adjectives. I then check the rest of the groups.
    Coming back to my group, I would discuss the adjectives they underlined and unpick why they are powerful. As a group, we might then brainstorm a list of powerful adjectives to create a word bank. I'd then give a starter sentence orally (modelling a powerful adjective) and ask children. to work with a talk partner to orally compose the next sentence. We would then compare orally, improve and comment on each others' work etc. Then I'd expect some independent writing - on whiteboards first to check/improve, then into books. I also make sure I can set another little task so I can whizz round the other groups again to check everyone is on the correct task.
    I usually try and have a mini plenary in the guided group before the whole class gets back together. I also often share work from the guided group for a whole class 3 stars and a wish type plenary.
    Sometimes my group is a little more structured. We have an opening sentence and then decide what the next sentence needs to say. We all try on whiteboards, improve, then copy into books. We all then jointly decide on what the next sentence needs to say, and repeat. This sentence by sentence approach works better with my less able children, but some of them do find it a bit frustrating.
    However, I also frequently have "group effort" guided writing groups, where I scribe or we scribe jointly, but I suppose this is more shared writing than guided writing.
    Sorry if that's a bit rambling and doesn't really answer your question, but to me guided writing groups are a very flexible idea and don't fit one set pattern!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Almost never. Don't quite see the point really. Sometimes if I've had to take a larger than usual group I might do this with children working in 2s or 3s, but that is all.

Usually I scribe what they say or they take turns to scribe, but I lead the group. What I do, ask for, guide towards, etc depends on the ability of the group. I tend to do guided group work in ability groups.

Generally it seems like a group discussion with me writing whatever they say, then they discuss how to improve it and tell me what to do. I'm just a secretary who asks leading questions really. Not sure if this is right, but it seems to work.

5. scorpio12

scorpio12 New commenter

Thanks so much for your replies - very helpful!