1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guided reading

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Jayney6, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Hello everyone,
    I am fully aware it is the holidays and we should all be chilling out whilst we can [​IMG] .However, guided reading is niggling at me. I dislike the 20 minutes a day spent on this with the current set up of me getting round groups and listening to them read whilst others read independently. Has anyone got good guided reading ideas for Yr 4/5 and has anyone found good comprehension resources etc. Our topic is WW2 and would like to try and link some of it to this. Will put my hand in my pocket if it means i will no longer want to stick pencils in my eyeballs haha!

Thanks for your time!

2. Hello everyone,
    I am fully aware it is the holidays and we should all be chilling out whilst we can [​IMG] .However, guided reading is niggling at me. I dislike the 20 minutes a day spent on this with the current set up of me getting round groups and listening to them read whilst others read independently. Has anyone got good guided reading ideas for Yr 4/5 and has anyone found good comprehension resources etc. Our topic is WW2 and would like to try and link some of it to this. Will put my hand in my pocket if it means i will no longer want to stick pencils in my eyeballs haha!

Thanks for your time!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

With year 6,

I read with one group.
    Another group enjoys books in the reading corner.
    A third group does some kind of written response to the reading they did with me the day before.
    The fourth group does a reading comprehension, ability linked, with a TA if one is available.
    The last group uses our 'writing box' to write anything they wish. (Writing box has all kinds of fancy pens and papers in)
    That's it really. They rotate round the activities each day.

4. Thanks very much v helpful :)

5. I think it is very important to ensure that all your children are actually engaged in useful learning rather than providing holding activities just so you can tick the box that says "I do guided reading". I am in KS1, for years i have been told i must do guided reading. It simply didn't fit what I needed to teach. I found that for 20-30 minutes per day i was keeping the majority of the class busy with banal stuff just to tick that box. I stopped doing it. My class needed systematic phonics instruction and practice decoding. So I do that instead. We must all focus on what we are trying to teach as opposed to fitting the latest fad in for the sake of it.

6. When I had year 5 I had 20 mins each day and no help in the classroom. I had one group reading with me, one group doing an ICT task that was matched to the skills in the medium term plan, one group completing a comprehension or grammar etc task and one group practicing their spellings for the week and their handwriting by tracing and then rewriting the words and then moving onto spelling games using the words of the week.
    Now I am in year 4, I do something similar, but all groups rotate in one long session. I have 2 helpers (one TA and one volunteer). One group still does their ICT, one group has help from the volunteer with their handwriting techniques, one group works on phonics etc activities with the TA and one group reads with me. Sometimes we read from a group text, sometimes they read from their own book. When we read a shared book they are good at reading along and helping each other out. When they read from their own books I find it trickier to ensure they are doing anything except day dreaming when they aren't reading with me at that moment, so I have invested some (school) money in a set of simple comprehension cards to give them something active to do.
    [​IMG]

7. dobby

dobby New commenter

Hi
    I've just finished a year with a 456 class. We had a timetable which involved 1 guided reading session, a follow up task the next day then 1 day spent working independently practising their maths and writing target. The fifth day was spent doing independent reading of their own book or a topic book.
    It worked for us, the only tricky bit being checking to see if targets were achieved.

8. I am Y5.
    I have four groups. One reading and discussing with me (with the emphasis on discussion as I don't always do the out loud reading bit but do have pre-prepared questions about the vocab/character/use of language etc etc that I want the group to focus on); one reading their guided reading book to the chapter/page agreed during our last session, then reading any book of their own choice; two groups doing a comprehension activity (usually linked to their guided reading book).
    I set an independent reading task at the end of the session with me, so that the children are expected to read their guided reading book in school time and come back to me the next week with it completed (not a written task, but a reading one).
    The hardest bit is keeping all the groups silent for 45 minutes! I split mine over two days, 45 minutes for two groups to read with me.

9. NQT08

NQT08 New commenter

Do you mark all of the tasks the 'other' children do during guided reading. If so, do you do that every day?
    Also, if they are producing some written work during the guided reading session, where do they write it?
    Thanks.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I mark the reading comprehension, they write the answers on the sheet.

The written response to the reading is in their reading journal (just an exercise book really) and they share it with the group next time I work with them. No marking as such, just oral comments from the group and sometimes me.

The writing box work is not marked and is purely to give them the freedom to enjoy being as creative as they wish. If they knew I was going to mark it, they wouldn't take so many risks with creativity.

So just a comprehension, once a fortnight as it takes two sessions to complete usually.

11. Yes, I mark the comprehension. I do guided reading once a week, rather than once a day, so this is manageable.
    They do all comprehension tasks in their guided reading exercise books.

12. Thankyou I share the same concern reference day dreaming whilst they are reading their own books, these look great. I will get them on board for September! [​IMG]

13. i have one group working on quick reading comprehensions (20mins)
    i make themselves, by collecting leaflets for local tourist attractions and then writing 15 questions - usually about 10 quick find answers and then 5 which require 'higher order' answers. these leaflets and questions sheets go into a labelled plastic wallet.
    sounds like a lot of work but it was actually quite quick once i had made a template for the answer sheet. i just alter one of the previous sheets each time i collect new leaflets and it add them to the collection. only take a few minutes to mark.