1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guided reading

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Leapyearbaby64, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I must confess to not letting my children near the levelled books until they are able to read the yellow books. I have sets of decodable books in the classroom. I use the Read Write books as guided readers.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

3. Via training events, I am recommending to teachers that they feel more liberated for their group/guided reading events.
    Create a learning intention according to the books you are using with the dynamics of the particular group.
    For example, you have a fab set of group reading books on bumble bees. You know that group A can easily read the book and you can conduct a quite sophisticated conversation with them about bumble bees and pollination. You set up the children to read the books independently or even do a 'round-robin' session. The learning intention for this group is nothing to do with rehearsing their level of decoding skills because the book is so easy for them in terms of decoding etc.
    However, for group B, the book's level of alphabetic code knowledge is really too tricky and some of the group do not even blend well yet. But the set of books is really great and teaches lots about bumble bees and pollination. Rather than precluding the children from access to the fab books, you, the supporting adult, read the book aloud to the children whilst they finger track under the words (more or less). You enjoy talking about bumble bees with the children etc.
    To address group A's level of decoding, they will need reading material (reading books and/or cumulative, decodable texts) which focus on their 'level' of reading in addition to any group reading books such as the bumble bee books.
    To address group B's reading levels, you must provide daily, focused opportunities to bring their alphabetic code retention up to a good level and to rehearse their blending skill with lots of purpose-designed level material - this may well be lots of word level material if they are really struggling to blend. Don't avoid longer words with weaker and slower-to-learn children as they can get stuck in the 'three letter, three sound' trap.
    I have found lots of plain, cumulative, decodable text (as per the link above which soon develops into good-enough text) very powerful as a teaching and learning tool. You can readily reproduce it (print or photocopy), you can write on it, the children can write on it - and it does include tricky common words and so on. It can also be used for self-dication and little comprehension activities (speaking and listening at the early stages). There are also pictures as rewards or conclusions AFTER the children have read the text. This is in addition to any reading books the children read either independently or via group/guided reading.
    So, liberate yourselves for any group reading and adapt the occasion according to your children and the books you have available. Don't be fearful of sharing books with children which, to all intents and purposes, may be beyond their decoding level - but which actually provide a wealth of broad experience of life and of learning about books.

4. Oops - that was the comprehension questions strand.[​IMG]

5. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Out of curiosity, were you suggesting that the conversation about bumble bees, pollination etc would be less sophisticated with group B than group A?

6. Msz

I may be wrong but I believe Debbie is saying that group B lack the decoding ability to access the book without support but are still able to discuss the contents to a high level.

7. Very good question, mystery 10, but msz understands me well.
    The conversations with group A and group B would be equal calibre and emphasis - which is precisely why I wouldn't want group B to miss out on the book because the children in that group were not yet ready to access the text independently.
    So, the teacher needs to value the book for its content and appreciate that the children who aren't up to reading it themselves are not precluded from it.
    Neither do I want the teacher to 'ruin' the content of the book by making the group B children struggle with the decoding. That is why I suggest that other reading material would be suitable for bringing the decoding on for group B.

8. Actually, I have re-read my original post and agree that it suggests a less high level conversation with group B about the content. However, that was not my intent - although, in reality, there are times when levels of conversation do need to be moderated accordingly.

However, I am not suggesting that decoding levels and alphabetic code knowledge and speed of learning these reflect intellectual or maturity levels.

9. Msz

If I had copies of the book for the whole class I will sometimes ask the children who are able to read the text while everyone follows it with their fingers and then discusss it as a class. Obviously this depends on the text and its suitability for all, but in general I find it helps to develop appropriate vocabulary in those children who need support inn this area.

10. Dandelion readers are my favourite at the moment but I also like big cat books for guided reading. ORT songbirds too.

11. <table cellpadding="7" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Some older learners may have the intellect of their peers at the <font size="1" face="Century Gothic,Century Gothic" color="#cc0099">STAGE TWO </font><font size="1">level of learning, </font>
    but their code knowledge and skills may be within the <font size="1" face="Century Gothic,Century Gothic" color="#cc0099">STAGE ONE </font><font size="1">diagram. </font>
    Teachers must not assume that poor levels of literacy equate to poor general ability and
    learners should be provided with lessons to match all their intellectual needs <font size="1" face="Century Gothic,Century Gothic">and </font>their
    basic literacy knowledge and skills.
    </td></tr></table>
    Forgive the formatting of the copy and pasted couple of sentences above. These are taken from my Two Stage Teaching Model - I am endeavouring to make the kind of point mystery10 makes about intellect v decoding ability. They are not one and the same thing.