1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guided Reading Year 5

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cranberryjuice, Aug 27, 2012.

1. cranberryjuice

cranberryjuice New commenter

Hi
    I am moving to Year 5 after 7 years in the KS1!
    I have been given some money, hopefully quite a lot, to buy some new guided reading stock after complaining about the lack of books available!!
    I wonderd if anyone one would like to recommend any real books - not scheme - that they have used in Year 5 and have been a big hit with the children, especially those who seem to get little enjoyment out of reading!
    Many thanks.
    Cranberryjuice

2. cranberryjuice

Hi
    I am moving to Year 5 after 7 years in the KS1!
    I have been given some money, hopefully quite a lot, to buy some new guided reading stock after complaining about the lack of books available!!
    I wonderd if anyone one would like to recommend any real books - not scheme - that they have used in Year 5 and have been a big hit with the children, especially those who seem to get little enjoyment out of reading!
    Many thanks.
    Cranberryjuice

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Wimpy Kid series. Just bite your 'this isn't a real proper book' lip and accept that it gets reluctant boys to read and is therefore good.

Some of Michael Morpurgo's books.

Guinness Book of Records for non-fiction. Weirder pages are the favourites.

4. piglet33

piglet33 New commenter

My Year 5 class loved Oranges In No Mans Land, Tuesday (although it is a picture book so better for literacy than guided reading) and Bamberts book of Missing Stories. They also loved anything by Roald Dahl!

5. Have a look at Badger Books - they offer packages of 'real books' including famous titles like Goodnight Mr Tom, Stig of the Dump, Stinky Cheese Man, etc.

They're great texts and you can also buy guides that suggest lots of activities which actually apply their knowledge of what they've read.

6. cranberryjuice

Thanks for these. Badger Books sounds great will have a look online.

7. I taught year five last year and the kids really enjoyed the road to Jo Burg and the Midnight fox.
    Kirsty

8. cranberryjuice

Thanks. I'd fogotten about Journey to Joburg - read that a long time ago. Not familiary with Midnight Fox, will add it to my amazon list! Just refreshing myself on Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH.