1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guided Reading - Whole class!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by boogie19, Nov 19, 2019.

1. boogie19

boogie19 New commenter

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for research, readings or pedagogy for whole class directed activities in a reception class. I am being encourage to put in place a whole class guided reading session for 25 minutes a day - like year 1 teacher reading with a group - other groups at directed phonics/funky finger activities. The other 2 teachers do it.

For many reasons I am not into this and have research/experience etc to back this up but was just wondering if anyone has some things I can also use to pull out to support my decision not to it i.e guidance on directed activities, how long they should/shouldn't be...

Thanks in advance

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

It isn't how I would teach GR in any year group...
    Thing is, there is a million and one ways to teach and all have their research to back them up.
    If your school insists on a carousel type approach to GR and 2/3 of the year group do it without complaint, then this may not be a battle you can win, whatever your philosophy.

You could always have out a selection of activities, so if anyone were to wander in it would look like a carousel, but in reality the children have free choice when they are not with you.

Playdough at one table
    Duplo on the carpet
    Phonics game on the smartboard
    Cars and paint for mark making in the tuff tray
    etc etc

3. boogie19

boogie19 New commenter

Thanks for the advice

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

If the whole class is doing guided reading, who are the children in the other groups?

Guided reading in groups (one group reading with a teacher, other groups doing different activities) is a 'carousel approach': it's the way guided reading has been done for years.

Whole class guided reading at Reception level seems to be just a new name for shared reading: listening to a story, discussing what's happening and what might happen next, exploring new vocabulary, etc. Plenty of information available about that approach.

5. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

It sounds like you may need to clarify things. Is it group guided reading with a carousel approach or whole class shared read. 25 minutes seems a long time. Is that what Y1 do? If so I would suggest you start with 10-15 minutes and build up through the year. When I did guided reading with a carousel approach my other children struggled to stay on task for more than 5 minutes initially!