1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guided Reading vs Individual Reading

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Feb 2, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm also the trouble maker because I ask questions. And because I don't always ask them in what is seen as an appropriate tone of voice.

2. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

SNAP! I really need to develop that syrupy voice!

3. With the new Ofsted criteria my school wants every teacher to read one to one with each of the children and also do guided reading which is difficult for many because we just don't have time in the day. How are people fitting this into their schedule?

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My schools has just decided we ought to do that as well hpiggott. Well ours have said 'read aloud to an adult' every day. Errrr which adult will that be then?

Me, while taking a group in lessons?

My TA, while taking a group in lessons?
    My 1:1 TA while stopping my child with significant SEN from running about the room and getting him to do some work?
    The imaginary one?

5. When Heads ask you to do this reading, do they model how it should be done or let you go and see another school do it? Surely, our profession is also about modelling what we're looking for? Shouldn't we expect this from our Heads if it's basically impossible?! Grr!
    But thanks for other bits of advice, gratefully received
    S x