1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guided Reading Texts

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ALSpence, Nov 5, 2015.

1. ALSpence

ALSpence New commenter

I am an NQT starting a new job as a KS2 literacy teacher. I'm really looking forward to my classes and wanted to bring Guided Reading in once a week with my Year 5 and Year 6 Literacy groups.

My mentor on my training had a lovely guided reading resource book with texts and AF-targeted questions. They were short texts and there was a nice range. I'm looking for something similar just to help me get going in my first year.

However everything I look at seems geared towards longer-texts, which I'll be covering the other four days related to our topic, or is very dated.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a small collection of tests just to kick me off and ease the NQT nerves?

- Thanks!

2. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

You could look at Collins books achieving level 4 in reading or achieving level 5 in reading. These are linked to the old AF focuses but still are relevant to the new curriculum.
    If you also go to the website Primary English Edication and go to resources you will see a link to a booklet on KS2 guided reading questions. They have linked the AF focuses to the new curriculum. So if you use the above books you can see how they fit in. Good short texts and some challenging questions. They even do level 6.
    Of course levels have gone but as I have written you could still use them.
    I do and have for many years. We get outstanding results. We use other resources. We bought some texts from CGP called true tales Non-fiction reading anthologies. Brilliant and great CD with reading journals.
    Hope this helps
    Have a good year.

3. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

Sorry books are called aiming for level 4 in reading
    Aiming for level 5 in reading
    Aiming for level 6 in reading
    Make sure you go to the Primary English education site to see how the AF focuses translate to the new expectations for 5/6.
    Okay

4. misterhall

misterhall New commenter

Have a look at these guided reading texts: they're web based, sorted by year groups and have an assessment focus associated with them, although they're US focused. They're pretty useful for guided reading sessions. I modify them and use them quite a lot.