1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guided Reading Resources for Year 5

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gemxgcw, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Hi,
    Just wondered what resources people use for doing quality guided reading with their year 5's.
    Thanks
    Gemx

2. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

Hi,
    We have the Collins scheme which has teachers notes aswell but I don't like the children's books and only use them when I can't find anything else. I prefer to choose from my own selection of books which means that the children sometimes have to have photocopied text.

3. rvelvet

Hope you don't mind answering a few questions!

The link you put to Amazon - Is this just the teacher guide and then you have to buy story books separate? Or does it also contain stories that you can photocopy for group to look at.

Also, is it useful for gathering APP reading evidence.

Thanks

Boots

4. Just good quality books! We use a lot of books from the Power of Reading scheme, they are excellent, high quality books that are really engaging.

5. nmason

nmason New commenter

Unfortunately we don't have any schemes at the moment and so it has taken a lot of work this year. We collect up all the relevant books for the genre we are covering and then make up our own planning for guided reading. Have had to order some through the library as well as get some in with money from the book fair. The key thing has been quality texts. Ocassionally we supplement it with a sheet from the comprehension scholastic book, which the children actually enjoy most of them and then discuss their answers as well as the genre layout/features as most so far have been good at showing this.

6. CB123

CB123 New commenter

We use the read and response books by scholastics which are very good and have just started using project x (by oxford reading tree), which is a series of fiction and non fiction books which have the same characters from reception to year 6. They were origionally made to get books into reading but all my kids love them

7. Hi - The RIgby Navigator scheme - that link is just the teachers book - you need a set of the children's books too. I think there are 3 of that sort (footy one, heroes one and another I haven't used yet) and also some non-fiction books. I imagine they would be quite pricey to introduce. I just added that link as an example, I don't know who the best supplier is, and I am an NQT, so I have no other experience. However, this school and my final placement school both used this scheme, and both seem very satisfied with it.
    Good luck with it all.

8. Forgot to say about APP - It gives enough information in the teacher's guide, assessment focus etc, to allow you to link to APP, but they pre-date APP so they are not in that exact format.

9. Thanks for your reply rvelvet

10. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I wouldn't use Rigby Navigator as these are from the old nls. Though nice they make app harder. I really like the Project X scheme from Oxford, which all have the app linked and are banded.

11. Can I throw a spanner in the works, as I am Literacy Co-ordinator and we have been focusing on Guided Reading this year, which has meant that I am completely overhauling the GR resources for KS2. The advice I have been given is that banded books are acceptable for those children reading up to Level 3, but then once a child has reached L3 text they should be able to decode and access any text, therefore concentrating on the comprehension and understanding more.
    If you have the Institute of Education GR manual-type books, have a look in there because there is a wealth of titles suitable for all ages from Y3-Y6, including picture books, short stories, longer fiction, non-fiction and poetry. I am just in the process of putting a huge order together to supplement what we have at the moment!
    Hope that helps and doesn't bamboozle too much!

12. I am currently organising a literacy reserach project which is based on a 300 graded title Electronic Library which offers the advantage that it can be used by all children irrespective of their reading ability because it automatically offers support in respect of any unfamiliar words. I have surplus copies of the library CD which I am happy to send to anyone who is willing to let me know how their Y5 children get on with it. There is no charge and no strings whatsover. Simply email me with your request for a copy of the free CD. You can see a less sohpisticated version of the library at www.schoolwork.bz The access code is ure132ty

Just email me at eddiecarron@btconnect.com and request the free library CD.

13. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

For the uninitiated, please can you tell me what you all mean by guided reading in Year 5? There seem to be so many different understandings of what guided reading is and should comprise that I get quite confused.
    I was also puzzled why you were talking about scheme books? Wouldn't the majority of children in year 5 be reading real books - albeit at different levels of complexity? And isn't the idea that in guided reading children might tackle something more complex at school than they might read at home on their own?
    For example, I remember when I was quite young at junior school myself the whole class read and discussed and did written work about Watership Down. I can't remember which year it was in, but it was probably a slightly "heavier" book at the time than the majority of us would have chosen to read at home for pleasure - but it was a good experience nevertheless.
    Childrens' classics tend to be quite cheap too, so easier to afford a whole class set versus commercial reading schemes. And they don't date.