1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guided Reading Question Packs

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lo77ee, Feb 14, 2012.

1. I am just about to embark on the process of making a number of GR comprehension style packs linked to specific books with focused AF questions etc etc. I wondered if anyone has any links to anything similar to this before I gie up hours of my life to do so!!!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I really like that pack. Never seen it before, but it looks really good.

Do the 'differentiated' activities go high enough for the top children in a year group (level 3 in year 2)?

I've ordered the year 2 one anyway...ooops.

3. titus4t

titus4t New commenter

Let us know what you think of it when it arrives....

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We use Big Cat Readers which come with assessment questions linked to levels and the different AFs

5. They do go high enough, although if they are G&T you may need the next year up. However, the texts are numbered A to C with C being the highest (rather than A as we might expect).
    Hope you like them. We use them across the school and they have proved successful, not least in terms of saving teacher time in preparing resources!

6. Just to let you know we also use the Reading Explorers and they are wonderful. Focussed questions and discussion points, Follow up tasks ready prepared and the kids are really interested in the wide ranging texts. Sparks really interesting discussions and debates in my children of all levels!

7. These all sound really good - I am looking in to them to see if they would be better than what we are expected to do. No point in re-inventing the wheel!
    Thanks muchly!

8. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

I was just looking for some Guided Reading ideas too and came across this.
    I am a Year 2 teacher and we are going to be putting in a carousel guided reading system in place after half term following some training we had.
    Would this resource well as part of a carousel system? We are going to do guided reading 3 times a week on a 2 week timetable. The children will be split into 6 groups according to ability and so over the 6 sessions they will have done 6 different activities.
    The activities I have in mind so far are guided reading (with teacher), follow up work, individual reading, free writing, spelling activity, listening to a story (although need to get listening stations for this.
    What are people's thoughts on doing guided reading like this? Or any other ideas on what works well for guided reading?
    Thank you!!

9. This is what I've been doing. My activities are currently (yr 3) reading with teacher, listening to a story, pairing up with another yr group to be heard read, reading journal activity, indep reading. We have been told that we need to make the carousel activities more meaningful hence the writing of new reading packs! Rather like my old way tbh

10. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

Lo77ee - so what did they say needed to be more meaningful? It's hard to please everyone isn't it!! When you say the children listened to a story did you use a listening station for that or do you have someone reading to the children?

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I don't know about 'meaningful' but my carousel seems to work well for my year 2. Children love it and their reading has improved massively over the year so far, so it can't be all bad.

Read in a group with the teacher and discuss the book.

Comprehension with TA (I'm probably going to swap to using the reading explorers recommended above)

Enjoying books in the reading corner

Reading and discussing their reading book with a year 5 partner

Reading journal activities from here: http://www.lancsngfl.ac.uk/nationalstrategy/literacy/index.php?category_id=399

The only one that somebody fussy might say wasn't 'meaningful' would be enjoying books in the reading corner. I'd defend this as essential to learning to love books and love reading, so would argue to the death to keep it!

The other activities all involve decoding and comprehension and so are 'meaningful' and worthwhile.

My class listen to stories in storytime at the end of every day, so I don't have it in GR time, but if we didn't have storytime then I would.

12. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

Minnieminx - thanks for your reply. I have tried to squeeze in story time but my timetable is so jam packed and our whole school assemblies tend to be at the end of the day I haven't managed it. Hearing stories is so important.
    (I hope that quote worked, I'm getting used to the forums :)
    So would your comprehension task not be based on the story they have read with you previously? I have also purchased the Year 2 reading explorers pack. My school has just purchased the Phonics Bug reading books. They were being deliverd over half term and we are having a look at them during an INSET monday. Do you think that they could be used as the group reading with the teacher activity and then use the reading explorers pack as the comprehension activity?

13. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

Chuffed I did the quote thing correctly!
    Simple things please simple minds :)

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Reading journal tasks tend to be based on what they have read with me, but not always. Our GR session is long enough to allow reading with me and a good bit of comprehension discussion all in one.

In a previous school I did storytime just before lunch each day. It wasn't written on the timetable (would have lost 5-10 mins of maths if it was) and the HT turned a blind eye because she actually liked to see year 6 sat on cushions and a carpet engrossed in a story.

No idea about phonics bug. FS and KS1 staff looked at it and loved it as a phonics/reading scheme, but the powers that be bought floppys phonics and ORT, also for us to start after half term.

I don't use reading scheme books for the reading with me part, but proper story or chapter books. Though this might have to change, depending on how prescriptive SLT decide to be with the new scheme. But any book with an interesting sotryline would work with the teacher activity. I think reading explorers needs an adult, so you'd need a TA.

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOL
    We have a half yearly PM review shortly after half term. so far on my list of achievements for the year I have :1) Learned how to put an outside door on the latch so I can get back in again without a long detour. 2) Learned how to send documents to the printer/copier and get it to print out double sided and stapled all in one.

Must think of some more 'professional' sounding ones soon...

16. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

Wow! I am very impressed!! I have never mastered how to do this on our complicated photocopier. I only need to look at it and it has a multiple jam with all the lights on it flashing.

17. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I know, I'm very proud of myself... :)

I can do the multiple jams with lights flashing as well! In fact I'm pretty expert at that part!

18. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

Right so trying to get my head round a timetable so what do you think of this:
    Individual reading - book corner
    Group reading - with teacher
    Follow up work - based on what they have read
    Free writing book - school are very keen for this to be taking place
    Spelling activity - was thinking using playdough and make words they have been learning in phonics. Any other ideas greatly appreciated!!
    Listening to a story - I am now thinking should this be changed to the comprehension reading explorers with a TA?
    What do you think?
    If I did this would be massively frowned upon from taking away from literacy or maths but I am liking this idea and if it's not on the timetable who will know? :)
    Our SMT have said we must now be using the Phonic Bugs books for guided reading sessions. Love how the powers that be take away our teaching powers

19. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

chocolate worshipper I love the rainbow writing idea. Will definitely be giving that a go!

Yes was planning on this being totally free for them to write about what they would like. Not sure whether some of mine will need some ideas so I do have a back up list of topics which I found somewhere when searching for reading activities. I will skim read over them just to check no-one is writing anything inappropriate (a strong possibility with some of my boy who are obsessed with guns !! I am not planning on marking or correcting though!

Sorry to sound like a broken record but just trying to get things straight in my head. Which activity are you planning to use the Reading Explorers for? Is this going to be a separate activity or are you using it as your reading activity for when the children are with you?

Yes I am Year 2 and I agree with you. I am hoping to get round it but at the moment we have been told everyone must use the scheme.