1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

guided reading objectives

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hannah_elise, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Hi

I've been searching for some guided reading objectives based on the AFs for reading. The best thing I've found is this

http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupRenderCustomPage.asp?GroupID=246144&ResourceID=2006169

but for some reason the level 2 sheet just won't open!

Does anyone have anything or know of anything similar?

Thanks.

2. Hi

I've been searching for some guided reading objectives based on the AFs for reading. The best thing I've found is this

http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupRenderCustomPage.asp?GroupID=246144&ResourceID=2006169

but for some reason the level 2 sheet just won't open!

Does anyone have anything or know of anything similar?

Thanks.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. marlin

5. Thanks, but I'm looking for something that splits the APP statements down into more child friendly steps that we can use as objectives to teach each of the AFs.

6. marlin

There are a lot of guided reading resources on this site. If you use the search box and have a look what's there you might find something similar to what you're looking for.
    BTW I tried the link you gave and couldn't open level 2 either.

Good luck with your search - sorry I couldn't be of more help.

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

what happened to the days when we used to make discernable comments in reading books and were allowed to just listen.
    Now all learning has to be targetted ...........used to be children read for enjoyment......nw they have to leap through the hoop as well.

8. I agree - I'm in year 6 and I use reading comprehension for ticking the assessment box but everyday we have some reading purely for pleasure - this is my second year with the same class and a number of parents mentioned at the recent parents' evening how much more engaged the kids were with reading, actually enjoying it and asking for books etc. I know this is not helpling the OP but surely successful and able readers develop due to a love of reading and an interest in the books and other texts they are experiencing not a detailed break down of the AF statements. My last assessment had all but about 4 kids working at 4+ in the class and about 60% level 5, but even more importantly everyone has a novel and a non-fiction book on the go and enjoys talking about what they are reading.
    Sorry for hijacking the thread, rant over!

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

I have been complaining about this idea for years........but everything has to be quantifiable today and nothing is for enjoyment........be it lessons, a piece of poetry or reading a book/