1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

guided reading - new curriculum

Discussion in 'Primary' started by NQT08, Aug 11, 2015.

1. NQT08

NQT08 Occasional commenter

Hi,

I am moving from y6 to lks2 in September so it will be my first time teaching to the new curriculum.

I am thinking about planning my guided reading and wondered if I need to consider anything different than I have previously done it under the old curriculum.

Basically, has the new curriculum changed the way you plan / teach guided reading?

Thanks

2. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

I would say the two main strands to be aware of, that perhaps you might not have considered previously with younger children, are elements that you're probably used to in Year 6:

• identifying main ideas drawn from more than 1 paragraph and summarising these
    • identifying how language, structure, and presentation contribute to meaning

That said, we overhauled Guided Reading a few years ago to stop the nonsense of the carousel, so you may consider scrapping it altogether!

http://www.mrspteach.com/2014/03/the-problems-with-guided-reading.html

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think a lot of us (old hands) query the 'value' of guided reading [​IMG]when done in group which carousel. Apart from the pain of finding enough books for all the different classes! I thought the drive was back to 'whole books' now anyway?

The Independent school I work in still has class reader/ novel and I think there is a certain merit in studying a whole text in depth. You can still differentiate tasks, reading aloud (if done) by paired reading, questions etc.

4. phan101

phan101 New commenter

Not just old hands, Lara. I've just completed my NQT year and find guided reading and the whole carousel business a complete waste of time! I try to do the whole class reader with differentiated activities as you have mentioned, much more value in that in my opinion :)

5. NQT08

NQT08 Occasional commenter

Thanks for the replies.

In terms of guided reading, I think it is excellent for the 1/5 of the class who are working with the teacher. The other 4/5 of the class actually learning anything will depend on how well the activities they are doing are planned.

Personally, I see value in a group doing an independent comprehension task and for a follow up task to what has been read the day before with the teacher. Other than that, I see as time fillers to keep them quiet while the teacher works with their group.

Doing work around a whole-class book is something that I will consider. When you do this, do all the children have a copy of the pages of the text that has just been read to refer to when doing their written work? Also, what length of time would people recommend doing these sessions for? Short and often like guided reading or longer length a couple of times a week?

6. gnomie_p

gnomie_p New commenter

I trialled whole class reading sessions last year. We don't have the funds or means to get copies of books so there's enough for one between two so I would scan the text in and display on the SMART board and photocopy parts for the follow up activities when children need different parts to refer back to. My TA worked with my lowers and I was able to work with a focus group to push them on. The rest were independent or paired.

It worked really well and I can really see the merit of that over a carousel of activities that takes ridiculous planning and resourcing.

7. Hi

Can you expand on the 'nonsense of the carousel' please? Am about to start a new job and had planned on having a carousel of guided reading activities! Many on this thread seem to think it's not a good idea tho? Can you enlighten me why not? Thanks v much

8. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I, personally, always found the 'carousel' to be one of those things that looks fun and creative, yet didn't actually benefit the children that much. Some of the activities that I saw colleagues do just seemed to be fillers.

9. PRUman

PRUman New commenter

The amount of effort that it takes to plan carousel style weighed against the impact on the children is unbalanced and pointless in my opinion.

10. shell43

shell43 New commenter

I have a carousel of activities, but not all children have the same activity. They have a comprehension based on the genre we are currently studying, a spelling activity based on the spellings we are working on (linked to including knowing the meaning and using them in a sentence) a follow up activity on work done previous day and silent reading of a novel of their own choice with a summary of story and character description. I don't think this is useless but I'm prepared to listen to what others do.

I use a novel for the whole class to introduce and discuss reasons for characters behaviour, word choices and punctuation (we read this every day before we finish, children are in mixed ability pairs).

There are plenty of prepared materials for comprehensions, spellings are taken from the current focus (so a list is already prepared), TA photocopies the ones requied and places them in the groups' 'guided reading box'.