1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guided Reading/Literacy Ideas Year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bananatree84, Oct 26, 2015.

1. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

Hi everyone.

I have begun my teacher training in year one and have been asked to plan some activities for my class. We have been doing our sessions in four groups with one group looking at a different kind of text each lesson. We have done maps, invitations, lists, and I can't think of anything to go with our topic which is Say Cheese. Any ideas would be gratefully received!
    Thanks!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You could do
    Instructions (How to make cheese) and Recipes
    Recommendations 'Reviews (I would recommend this fantastic cheese because . . .)
    Poetry (lots of opportunities for using the senses), but probably pretty much any type of writing, so you just need to get researching as many as you can.

3. comenius

comenius New commenter

4. comenius

comenius New commenter

No idea what just happened to my reply to you!

5. bananatree84

Hi thanks all for your replies. Yes our topic is to do with photography. I have thought about instructions for taking a photo with a digital camera with all the relevant language for instructions for example method, first, then, next, lastly etc. As well as this I am planning to bring in camera specific language such as flash, zoom etc. Am worried though our guided reading sessions are only 20 minutes long and this might be too much. Planning is hard work!

6. comenius

comenius New commenter

You could have a look at the photographs of Zev Hoover - lots of things the children could write about in them e.g. how the person shrunk, write the adventure they have. Have a look at ************ for ideas.
    https://www.************.com/zev-hoover-shed.html
    You could use photos (national geographic have amazing photos) in guided reading to develop observation, prediction and inference. Provide a photograph and give children a few minutes to look closely at it and ask them to state what they observe, They could predict what is going on, what happened before, what will happen next, what might happen if __ does __? etc. Discuss people in the photos and decide why they are doing what ever it is they are doing, how do you know etc. Children could use question hands to generate questions for each other to answer.
    This could lead onto a writing session too - write a caption for the photograph, write what happened just before the photograph was taken, think feel thought bubbles...

bananatree84 likes this.
  7. MannyDog

MannyDog New commenter

I'd give them a camera, let them go mental with it photgraphing whatever they choose, and they then choose 3 photos that they took (one will probably be your ass with you bent over tying a child's shoe lace!) to write about.

There, spur of the moment but may be good!

bananatree84 likes this.
  8. bananatree84

Fab ideas! We are taking photos during our "fashion show" (a bit like a wedding photo booth) so we can do a piece of writing about that. I love the idea of looking at different photos in such a focused way comenius thank you!