1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guided Reading in Year 6?

Discussion in 'English' started by lindz27, Oct 4, 2015.

1. lindz27

lindz27 New commenter

Does anyone else do guided reading successfully in Year 6? I used to teach one whole-class differentiated reading comprehension lesson per week, but now we have moved to one guided reading session per week. How do you organise your sessions? Particularly in view of what the other groups will be doing when you are not working with them. I have tried several reciprocal reading type approaches but feel that my activities for the rest of the class, whilst allowing engagement with a text are not based enough on objectives and are too stand-alone. I tried a follow-up task, but sometimes groups are then left having finished that and waiting for me to finish with my first group! Not good! Thoughts anyone?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

My 'guided reading' is most often a 'whole-class' comprehension activity with differentiated questions. Sorted!

3. AdrienneKing

AdrienneKing New commenter

I read with a Guided Group every day. Think it's really valuable. At the beginning of each half term, I create a GR web, which gets stuck into the front of a large Scrap Book (one per group).....each day, the group has to decide together which reading task they will do and then they complete this task on a page from their Talk Pad and stick into the Scrap Book at the end of the session....easy peasy lemon squeezy.....Each half term I include Dictionary task, Thesaurus task, Class author task, character work related to own reading book, peer reading etc etc. Really works and the children love it - even in Y6.....

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

All well and good but the OP says
    so doing it every day doesn't seem to be an option.

5. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Take a look at Kasey Kiehl's blog - she talks a lot about guided reading and has some great resources. Her students do independent reading applying a strategy from a (15-minute) mini-lesson at the start of the session. Then she rotates her guided reading groups.
    She's in the US so a very different setup from the UK, but the ideas are solid. Worth a look I'd say.