1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guided reading in year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sara2323, Feb 18, 2011.

1. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

Just wondering how others teach guided reading in year 1. I've only observed a few guided reading sessions and not sure how to make them more exciting!
    I normally ask chn to read their previous guided reading books (which are sent home) and observe them reading this and make notes. I then introduce the new books, we look at the cover, blurb pictures and talk about the book.
    I then write some tricky words from the book and we read them together before children start reading their own books whilst I make notes. I just think my sessions are a bit boring.

2. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

Just wondering how others teach guided reading in year 1. I've only observed a few guided reading sessions and not sure how to make them more exciting!
    I normally ask chn to read their previous guided reading books (which are sent home) and observe them reading this and make notes. I then introduce the new books, we look at the cover, blurb pictures and talk about the book.
    I then write some tricky words from the book and we read them together before children start reading their own books whilst I make notes. I just think my sessions are a bit boring.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

Thanks, I've just had a look at the site and read the thread- my main concern is about the actual teaching and learning going on during the guided reading sessions and what activities to use.
    Although I have found lots of advice on activties to be completed by the rest of the class whilst guided reading is taking place I can't seem to find much information on what to include and how to run the actual guided reading session.
    I'm a PGCE student in final placement and am struggling to find any infomation related to this.

5. Try and think about what you want the childrent to get out of the session and plan for objectives. Is it reading and identifying tricky words, understanding the text - comprehension and prediction, using pattern to help read, teaching new sounds, finding details about the characters or events, recognising punctuation, discussing favourite pages, awareness of genre, finding out information, looking at settings etc It depends what books you have for your guided reading and knowing what will benefit the children. Hope this helps.