1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guided reading in y5

Discussion in 'Primary' started by missh27, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Hello
    I am going to be starting my first post after half term in y5
    and there is a 30 min spot in my timetable for guided reading everyday
    when i went in the class for one day all the class teacher did was silent reading
    and she wasn;t very clear when i asked what she did in this slot.

So i was thinking of doing carousel activities, such as:
    guided reading with me
    guided reading with ta
    dictionary work
    task on guided reading
    handwriting
    for 4 days a week and silent reading on fridays

what do people think andif you've any more suggestions as to what I can do that would be useful.

miss h

2. also for the actual guided reading sessions, if anyone has an idea of what texts I can use that would be good for y5 that would be useful

3. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

First of all what a luxury to have 30 mins a day to do this. Don't know how many you've got in your class but depending on group size and abilities you might need 5 days to get all the groups with you. Maybe silent reading could be one of your carousel activities?

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I have guided reading 4 days a week so have a carousel of
    reading with me
    reading follow up questions
    spelling strategies/activities
    comprehension activities

If the children finish the carousel activities before I've finished the guided reading, they read silently for 5 minutes.
    There are lots of resources/questions on the Primary resources website which I find useful ( especially if I haven't quite managed to read all the books in detail[​IMG])I generally use some of these for the reading follow up sessions. The children are split into groups of roughly similar ability ( my class ranges from level 1 to level 5)
    My MA and HA children love a wide variety of books, Michael Morpurgo and Roald Dahl are perennial favourites!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Mine do GR with me, comprehension (I have year 6 so SATs reading taking about 4 sessions), reading corner (just enjoying books) and Reading journal (activities from GR).

I have 4 sessions a week of about 1/2 hour and 7 or 8 children per group. Too big really I'd rather 5 sessions with 6 per group, but it doesn't quite fit.

6. I have 29 in my class ranging from level 1 to level 4
    the previous class teacher has them in 4 groups, but i think i may have to make them into smaller groups.
    going in tomorrow and the deputy said he would leave the target tracker for me, and I will figure out my groups then

7. LBaggley

LBaggley New commenter

Hi Missh27!
    I am an NQT in year 5 - just finishing off my nqt year. We have just had a fantastic inset day on reading and looking at activities other groups can do whilst we are doing guided reading with one group. You are lucky to have a TA too!
    After half term I will be giving sentence level activities to the children, ordering parts of a poem, reading texts out and identifying where the punctuation is. I have a range of P scales to Level 4 so that means lots of differentiated resources and also lots of laminating!
    I have been putting any resources I have been making onto the resources section on TES if you want them!
    Hope that helps [​IMG]

8. I am envious of you! I am a year 5 teacher but have no control over my timetable and there is no reading time timetabled.
    I personally would have 5 small groups and read with one per week.
    Rather than have a strict carousel you might prefer to have the lower level groups to do a different range of activities. For instance the level 1 readers may want to spend several days with the TA or to be doing flashcard type activities. The higher level groups might need to be doing more comprehension acitivities that focus on the all important inference questions.
    I tend to use a range of: Primary Resources, writing them myself (The APP grid provides template type questions to use as stubs), and other books I have in school.

9. I have five activities over the week; guided reading with me; a follow up task based on the session with me; silent reading; a listening book and computer activities. The computer activities are using either the internet or CD ROMs on spellings, sentence level and general revision (I'm in year 6). I have been very lucky that the previous teacher built up a good bank of listening books as they can be expensive to start a collection.
    The books I use are 'The Firework makers daughter' by Philip Pullman, 'Springheeled Jack' by Philip Pullman, 'The Sheep Pig' by Dick King Smith, 'The Wreck of the Zanzibar' by Michael Morpurgo, 'Just what I always wanted' various. I have also looked at Harry Potter but this is a bit long.
    As someone has already said Primary Resources have some really good ideas for book activities.

10. I have 29 children, ranging from 2c to 4a. The children are split into 5 groups, but soon I'll be combining groups 1 and 2. We manage to fit in 20minutes of reading each day.
    I normally have 1 group reading with me, another group reading with TA, a third practising their spelling rules, another reading their library books and the last group practising times tables. When the TA has the LA readers, she takes them out for extra Read Write Inc sessions. They also do this for about 20minutes during the last lesson of every day.
    I don't have the children answering written questions in their guided reading sessions as when we read with them, they are questioned orally to test and aid their comprehension, and we have weekly comprehension lessons anyway.

11. One group reading with me (no TA)
    One group spelling activities
    One group handwriting (with the spelling patterns of the week)
    One group either comprehension/grammar/punctuation or ICT task.