1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guided reading in the new academic year

Discussion in 'Primary' started by NQT88, Sep 5, 2020.

1. NQT88

NQT88 New commenter

I was curious how different schools are teaching reading in the new “normal”.
    Our children aren’t encouraged to move around the classroom let alone swap tables. We’re therefore doing whole class teaching but have a very limited amount of whole class texts. Some groups are also going out with support staff if they can’t access the whole class teaching.

What are you doing in your school?

2. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

Use online books to display for all to see.

3. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Do you mind me asking where you get them from @sooooexcited?
    We are finally allowed to do whole class Guided Reading this year instead of the dreaded carousel.
    Do you give out paper copies as well?

Catsoup likes this.
  4. sooooexcited

I use bug club.
    I don't use paper copies unless they are doing a test on a particular paragraph then I give them an extract so they can use it at their own pace.

vannie likes this.
  5. vannie

vannie Star commenter

6. oliviaiasi70

oliviaiasi70 New commenter

For whole class guided reading I find Oxford Owls is excellent

7. pianist1

pianist1 New commenter

In my school, each teacher selects a class reader prior to the start of term from an extensive list of class packs. The list of books for availability covers a wide range of genres and is split into key stages including lower and upper ks2. We order our class packs from ‘Juniper’ paying the highest rate to cover a wish to change a class set mid term. No one has availed themselves of this though thus far. My class are enjoying ‘A Slice of the Moon’ by Sandi Toksvik. This book is throwing up all sorts of questions about the plight of the Irish during the Potato Famine and in particular, questions such as who was there to help families coping with extreme hunger and meeting rent deadlines. I really love this daily dedicated ‘Whole Class Reading’ slot on our timetable. It would be reassuring to hear that every teacher in the UK could order a class pack of books each term, in addition to a ‘Topic’ loan of mixed fiction and non fiction.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

This sounds like an advert for 'jupiter' to be honest.

Catsoup likes this.
  9. Catsoup

Catsoup New commenter

This can be helpful. But children are being fed a diet of mixed bag twin*l and similar, sometimes on screen, and I think a tangible text that they can touch and feel, or highlight and annotate needs to be a regular feature too.

10. sooooexcited

I certainly agree, however, some schools are currently not using books to share and don't have one each so I suggested online texts as the question was about COVID GR. Nothing beats a real book.