1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guided Reading in Reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lucye, Sep 8, 2018.

1. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Digoryvenn , As the original conversation was about individual readers, I just wouldn't do all the things you suggest one to one except in unusual circumstances , I'd always do this as a group , as children support each other. I don't think anyone would argue with what you have clarified, as it's part and parcel of early years practice.
    Equally, debate is a good thing, it is only when you hear the views of others that you refinecand clarify and sometimes even change your own. It would be dead boring if we all agreed on everything.

digoryvenn likes this.
  2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Yessss!!!!
    I totally agree with you now. :):rolleyes:

digoryvenn likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

I said this to a DH a while back...he assured me he could cope with the boredom of me actually agreeing with him before arguing occasionally! ;)

4. katedavy

katedavy New commenter

Hi everyone, sorry to jump in late on this but i just wanted some guidance, is there a government recommendation on one to one reading session? I'm not too fussed but my child has only had three individual reading sessions (in his reading record) since September. He is in reception year.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

No.
    Excellent news. It means your son's teacher is too busy teaching your son to find the time to write nonsense in a reading record.

The teacher is probably doing an excellent job.

6. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Reading records should be banned in schools for all pupils.
    They are useless and cause too many problems.
    JUST READ REAL BOOKS.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

Reading Records are where the teacher or parent makes a note when they have 'heard the child read'.
    Usually things like 'great expression', 'super decoding' and other such useless remarks.

Decodable readers for those just starting out, then real books for those who are fluent readers.
    No need to write about it or have a scheme!

digoryvenn likes this.
  8. dppc55555

dppc55555 New commenter

We find the "Let's Read" books by WordUnited very helpful to practice all the sounds.. they are very clear and have bright pictures and colour coded text with prompts. I think they are designed for easily distracted children but I have also used them with a boy learning English as a second language.. worth a try.