1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guided Reading in Reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lucye, Sep 8, 2018.

1. lucye

lucye New commenter

I have been lucky enough to have three members of staff supporting guided reading, up until now. We have heard individual readers twice a week & had excellent results, it took two mornings. Now there are two members of staff for guided reading. I don't want to go back to group reading as we have had good results before. Any Idea please?

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

WOW! Hearing individuals twice a week every week seems pretty decent already. Anything over and above that will be a luxury in many schools.

3. lucye

lucye New commenter

I was wondering how I can make the reading more manageable. As there’s 2 of us the individual reading will take all day. How do others manage reading?

4. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

THis is just my view but how can you devote so many adults and so much time to individual readers? What quality are the other childen getting? are they playing without adults to extend? when do you teach maths? science? listening?

How do you ensure the development of CoEL?

I appreciate this is my view so no offence intended. :)

5. lucye

lucye New commenter

6. lucye

lucye New commenter

I am asking for advice about how others manage reading as like everyone else i have a daily phonics lesson, maths session as well as everything else in the day and can’t afford to spend a long time on reading. We used to have a third adult who organised the continuous provision after phonics & we heard readers (2 mornings) after phonics. I will probably have group readers now . How do you organise your reading in the timetable?

7. caterpillartobutterfly

We hear the very poor readers every day and those who don't read at home.
    The rest we hear once a week, either teacher or TA.

But we have 30 mins of phonics every day and 'teach' reading then. The 'hearing them read' is just a slight pander to parents really.

8. lucye

lucye New commenter

Thank you so much, that's very helpful.

9. Camokidmommy

We also do 'taught reading' within phonics sessions which are half hour daily. Every child reads, every day with an adult. (acutally if I'm honest it's only 4 times a week as something gets in the way)

Group reading is something I love. CHidlren learn from each other and I feel i use my time effectively.

I use trained TAs to teach reading and swap groups with them about half termly, I also do other reading related activities so I know where they are and if progress is being made. I also watch TAs occasionally and encourage them to ask if they want advice.

10. caterpillartobutterfly

As in individual reading 1:1 with an adult, or as part of phonics or a group?

11. zippygeorgeandben

zippygeorgeandben Occasional commenter

We hear each child read 1:1 with me (the teacher) and my TA from 8:45 to 9:45 from Monday-Thursday.
    I brought this in last year with impressive results.

digoryvenn likes this.
  12. lucye

lucye New commenter

Thanks Zippy. So how often would you get to hear each child in a week. Once or twice?

13. Camokidmommy

@caterpillartobutterfly as part of a group. children who need additional help get it as needed perhaps extra twice a week.

we are a small school so currently our largest group has 5 children in.

we need to remember that eyfs is 7 areas of learning, not just reading.

14. caterpillartobutterfly

I agree...and reading is only half of one of those areas!
    I keep trying to tell our parents that too. :rolleyes:

15. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Yes but learning to read is the foundation of everything!

I have always believed that in reception (and nursery) every child should be heard to read daily. Use TAs and parent helpers if necessary. I feel very strongly about this.

And yes, this did happen in the schools I worked in.

As zippy says it does produce impressive results.

16. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Nooooo. The prime areas are the foundation of everything, not literacy, especially in nursery. Why on earth would you subject 3 year old to daily reading when you could actually have a conversation with them instead, or actually play with them. Infinitely more important than getting them to read every day. IMO anyway.

17. digoryvenn

We will just have to 'agree to disagree' as they say.

Literacy, numeracy, counting, phonics, mark making etc should be embedded across all areas of learning. Having conversations are part of literacy and reading, taking about and sharing books and oral storytelling together. Playing with children and literacy are not mutually exclusive.

I am not here to argue with anyone, just giving my opinion just like everyone else on here.

18. Camokidmommy

Language is the foundation of everything. Communication orally or written for reading or writing it. Children need to use language so... in Nursery reading isn't about children reading the words on the page, its about them wanting to read, opening a book the right way up, turning pages one at a time, being excited about a book for whatever reason, and many other aspects. To achieve the ELG at the end of reception children can be talking about a book and what happens - that is evidence towards this. BUT not solely.
    If we don't teach all the underpinning skills and love of reading/books/gaining information then all chidlren will do is say the words on the page to get the next book.
    Nursery is about 3 prime areas with others thread through. Reception is about all prime and specific areas of which reading is only one. We need to give our children broad horizons so they don't become narrowed by a system that constrains us as teachers.
    Sorry that turned into a rant! Didn't mean it to!!!

19. caterpillartobutterfly

You worked in schools which have children rather ahead of mine then!

Not one of my class know any letter sounds at all yet. There is no way I could 'hear them read'. They cannot read a single letter, not even their name.

I read to them twice a day for about ten mins each time and we share the book together, with them joining in here and there with refrains and so on. However I could not possibly hear them read, as they cannot read.

digoryvenn likes this.
  20. digoryvenn

Of course you can't hear them read as they can't read yet!

When I taught in nursery they couldn't read either but I started the process with daily literacy sessions with literacy and numeracy embedded across all areas. I began with phase one phonics in September for all the pupils and moved on to phase 2 phonics quite quickly for the brightest six pupils and I had two very bright pupils that were reading the very beginning books of our scheme by Christmas. There weren't pushed or pressurised or anything like that, they moved on when ready.

Sharing books, looking at books, talking about the stories, listening to stories, practising phonemes, mark making etc are all part of 'reading' and this can be achieved through play and in more formal sessions.

I obviously haven't made myself clear, I should have chosen better words, sorry.