1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guided reading in Reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by qualiteacher, Jan 8, 2016.

1. qualiteacher

qualiteacher New commenter

Hello All,
    Can anyone point me towards a bank of ideas for guided reading for Reception? As in, a list of possible independent activities for groups to do whilst I am reading with a group?
    TIA!

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Couldn't they be accessing continuous provision?

3. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

While I read with a small group, the other children are "reading" (looking at books, taking about their book with a friend, listening to my TA read a story). I can't imagine having to get them to do guided reading-style activities. In other year groups they are doing comprehension or independently reading the next part of the guided book - all things my children wouldn't be able to access!

4. craftyangel49

craftyangel49 New commenter

I started at my new school last Monday and we're doing guided reading which has a follow-up task as well. the head of year was new in September and now they do maths, writing and phonics every day with differentiated guided groups which leaves not much time for continuous provision!

I think what they've done before is like draw a picture of your favourite character, talk to your partner about what might happened next... draw a picture of what might happen next. As you say, it's hard to set activities when they are not very able to stay on task independently.

5. qualiteacher

Thanks for your replies!
    I have five guided reading groups and it is arranged so that each group does a different activity every day (like a carousel). So one group reads with me, one group reads with my TA, one group goes in the book corner and the other two work independently doing things like making playdough letters, highlighting letters, CVC word frames etc..
    I was just looking to compile a list of possible activities that the independent groups could do

6. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

What's happened to free flow, continuous provision and independent learning?

7. qualiteacher

That all happens too! It's only for ten to fifteen minutes per day. We share stories with the children in small groups.